For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

Eating Out

buddys

We don't have any kids at home anymore so it's just the two of us. We have gotten into a very bad habit of eating out if neither of us want to cook. It has to stop, I just figured it up and our budget just can't stand it. So, back to cooking at home. Cooking for two isn't easy though.

I agree with you.  We have three (soon to be four!), but since our daughter barely eats, we're still essentially cooking for two and it's hard to motivate ourselves to do that.

Maybe you could try cooking for four and freeze half of it for a future (quick) meal. Then you wouldn't be making such small meals, and you would have times when you didn't have to cook - just reheat.

The way I see it is, if you enjoy eating out, and you are retired, where else is the money going! I don't think there is anything wrong with eating out 1-2 times a week. You'd be surprised that you'd likely end up spending that same amount of money probably doing something else anyway.

Maybe you could try cooking for four and freeze half of it for a future (quick) meal. Then you wouldn't be making such small meals, and you would have times when you didn't have to cook - just reheat.

That is what we do.  If we didn't, we would probably spend a fortune going out to eat since cooking every night is more than we can handle at the moment.

There's only two of us and we rarely eat out. Also, my husband is a great meat eater but I'm not so I usually make two separate meals every evening. Luckily we don't eat a lot and I'll typically have a tuna or cheese salad while he will have steak and chips.

• 3 weeks later...

Because I live alone, most of my "cooking" is heating up a can of soup or chili, or throwing a couple of cheese toasts into the toaster oven.  Sometimes I'll get fancy and cook a steak or some fish in my George Foreman grill, and open a can of corn or green beans.  But there are times when nothing I could cook sounds as good as an Arby's roast beef sandwich or KFC original recipe chicken, and I have to give in.  I'm weak!

• 2 weeks later...

I have discovered that dining out at most Asian restaurants can be less expensive than eating at home.  I always get three servings per dish and enjoy it even better as leftovers.  It freezes easily, is low in cholesterol and filled with healthy vegetables.  You also get the added advantage of an exotic atmosphere that makes you feel like you're getting a lot for your dining dollar.