For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

What Tickles Your Nostrils?

SkyBlue

On opening my fridge door this morning, I had a lovely waft of cucumber from inside.  Cucumber isn't something I usually buy, but our Golden Retriever is a few pounds overweight and the vet advised us give him some raw vegetables such as cucumber and carrots instead of dog treats.  Smelling that freshly cut cucumber was like a real taste of summer, even though it's pouring with rain here in England.  Have you ever noticed that cucumber and melons smell quite similar?  Another thing I love to smell is a certain kind of old fashioned soap which my grandmother always had in her bathroom.  Smelling it brings back memories of childhood trips to stay with her.  She was an important person in my life and I will never forget the wonderful times we shared when I was young.

This made me wonder what your own favourite smells are, and whether they remind you of anything special.

Peppermint reminds me of my great-grandmother.  She used to always have a bag of those pink peppermint candies - the ones rather like thick Tums?  Black licorice reminds me of my grandfather.  He was from Buffalo, NY and grew up with a candy called licorice buttons.  Every time he visited, he would buy a pound or two and bring them back for all of the grandchildren.  Can't stand the taste of black licorice but I always ate one for him.

There are certain deft scents that evoke, for me, a romanticized sense of the past, but I cannot for the life of me recall any of their monikers.

The cologne I use, XS by Pacco Robbano, reminds me of my adolescence, as it was the first odour that I used. Similarly, the sunflower perfume that my mother wore has the same effect.

Wintergreen candy, Jovan Musk for Men and peanut butter fudge cooking.

My grandfather used to give me wintergreen candy sticks when I would go with him to the stockyards to buy cattle and horses.  I can also smell fresh hay and memories assail me. 

Jovan Musk for Men is what I used to wear when I would date girls in my teen years.  That brings back happy memories of summer nights spent at the drive in movies. 

Peanut butter fudge brings back memories of my mother fixing fudge on cold winter nights spent waiting for the fudge to cool so we could all dig in like like termites on an old, dried log.  We made quick work of it too.