For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

Dealing with rude people

Val-the-nomad

Living abroad has really helped with my tolerance levels! Language barriers and cultural misunderstandings are inevitable and those who get frustrated don't last very long here. Sadly my limits are tested by other foreigners, especially those who are here precisely because they have poor social skills.

Sometimes I really feel the need to bite back, though I know that's not productive. How do you deal with rude folk?

• Like 1

Luckily we live in a small rural community and don't often encounter rudeness. In the past, however, I have found that ignoring people has more effect than responding to what they say.

I am always shocked when a stranger is rude to me. I shouldn't be; plenty of people are rude. It's just so hard to understand why someone would act that way. After the first flush of indignation, I try to remind myself that sometimes I am rude, too, though I don't ever mean to be.

A few weeks ago, I got frustrated at a rude driver in a parking lot. I grumbled about it, but then my kid piped up and reminded me that maybe that guy was having a really bad day. Who knew if maybe he just got a cancer diagnosis or something like that? That took the wind out of my sails!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I really try not to be rude to people although I am sure occasionally it does happen. When people are rude to me I usually try to smile, finish my business with them, and walk away. Citizen, you have obviously raised a very thoughtful child!

• 3 weeks later...

I visited a famous city in South East Asia once (I won't mention the name for me not to be rude) and I found that some of the locals are quite rude to foreigners. For instance, I asked a lady for a direction for me to go to the other island and her reply was "why would I want to go there?" I never bothered to answer her inquiry and just went to another person whom I can ask directions. I agree with Silva that ignoring rude people is the best thing to do.