For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

Post- Holiday Blues

LeesThoughts

The presents have been given out, the carols sung, the leftovers have been made into every "new" meal possible, and the eggnog has gone more than a little sour; so now what?

Well, if you are anything like me, this is when the post-holiday blues set in. I have come to dread the week between Christmas and New Years. We spend weeks (in some cases months) getting ready for Christmas; planning, decorating, shopping, baking, cooking, and a million other things in anticipation of the day and then December 26 gets here in the blink of an eye. It's over, and I'm left feeling more than a little physically and emotionally empty.

Do you experience the post-holiday blues? If so, how do you cope with it?

Personally, I'd like to crawl into bed and pull the covers over my head until January 1st. But since that's not possible I'll just keep busy, down another leftover ham sandwhich, and be thankful that the "Holiday Season" only comes once a year!

I can certainly understand the "post-holiday blues". It seems as though all of the holiday cheer goes away after the 25th. I dread having to take down the Christmas tree and putting everything back in the attic.

Unfortunately for me, there aren't any holiday leftovers because the holidays were away from home this year. The leftovers for me are generally a favorite of mine, because it means I don't have to cook for a few days, but I'll survive.

On the other hand though, it is nice to enjoy the relative quiet of the 5 days of quiet after Christmas and before New Year's Eve. All of the holiday traffic around the main shopping areas tend to die down. Although this year, I'm not sure that will be the case with all of the after Christmas sales (unfortunately for me, there wasn't anything I wanted on sale). Since I live near a large shopping mall, it will be a nice relief for most of the traffic to finally go away.

I'll enjoy the quiet for now and hopefully find some sales closer to New Year's Day.

As for me, the way I deal with the post-holiday blues is to make sure there is something for me to look forward to in the new year.  Last year, I was due with my second child in April, so I had that to look forward to.  This year, I have a trip planned with my husband.  I move my focus from one thing onto another.  It seems to get me through that slump we normally feel at this time of year.

• 2 weeks later...

Last year was hard because my grandma passed away 6 days after the new year. This year was much better but still difficult because she wasn't here with us. My kids and I made salt dough ornaments and passed them out for Christmas gifts so that helped keep my mind off her not being here. Also, it doesn't help when the weather is gray and just blah.

I found the perfect way to cure post-holiday blues -- plan a cruise for February! :) Ever since the holidays have been overwith I have been planning and planning for our upcoming vacation. It has helped me with the usual winter doldrums that I get in January. I wish we could do it every year. But I know it's sometihng that will happen probably every few years at the most. Oh well. Soon the cold weather will be gone and spring will be here!