For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

Re: How proficient are you with computers?

wizzard

I have several years experience with computers.

I had my first computer when I was 14. It was an Amstrad CPC464 with a tape drive and green screen.

My latest computer is running Ubuntu Linux 8.04. I am starting to look at buying a mac, I have really liked the look of them and how stable they are for many years.

However the only downside is how expensive they are.

*bows down to the computer masters of the thread*

I'm more what you would call a software expert, I suppose.  I've mastered most programs and forum creation websites; however, I become 100% useless when it comes to my laptop crashing.  I've been battling Ad ware and Malware over the past few weeks and am a tad embarrassed to say that if my hubby weren't an ex-IT Consultant then I wouldn't be here right now.  (Yes, hubby saved my online life!)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've known computers since 1999. I started out with Windows 95 and ran upto XP when I met Linux in the form of Ubuntu Breezy Badger. I continue to use Ubuntu along with Vista now. There are some stuff that just cannot be done on a Linux installation.

I could consider myself to be quite good with installation of hardware or software on computers and I can also troubleshoot quite efficiently.

I could actually call myself an addict now coz all that I do day in and day out is hanging out on the Internet.

The saying "I know just enough to be dangerous" applies to me when it comes to computers.

I have been using computers since floppy disks really were floppy and the internet was just basically a BBS system. I am self-taught and proficient on many aspects of software and functionality (I'm one of those strange folks who actually read those huge manuals that came with the computers years ago), but I know precious little in regard to the inner workings of my machine.

I do, however, know more than most of my friends and relatives so they wind up calling me first when they have computer problems. I guess "proficient" could be a subjective term; it depends on what (or whom) I am comparing my skills to.

I'm not so proficient with computer hardware, but I would like to think I have more than a basic knowledge. My proficiency comes with working with Microsoft Excel. I'm an accountant by trade and I use excel for a lot of data collection and storage. It's also an excellent tool for budgeting and forecasting.

When I started my own small business, I didn't find accounting software that was suited to my company. I ended up using excel to create my own. By using simple "T accounts" I am able to create my end of year financial statements during the year. Each entry in the "T accounts" adjusts the balance sheet and income statement automatically. For someone who hasn't taken "Intro to Accounting" and doesn't know how to use "T-accounts" it probably isn't the best solution, but for someone who has that basic accounting knowledge and doesn't need all of the fluff of the box software, this would be perfect.

I'm fairly good with other software programs, but I find excel to be the most efficient.