For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

Getting Rid Of Cable

buddys

I have been without cable TV for about three years now. I discovered Roku and decided that I had paid for television long enough. When you buy the Roku box, you have access to "channels" which you can get free along with some paid channels if you wish. The main channel I use is my Netflix subscription. I finally even got rid of the DVD by mail portion of Netflix and use the streaming service exclusively. Between all of the free channels I have and my Netflix streaming subscription we have all we could ever watch. My wife and I have been very satisfied with the entertainment we have now.

• Like 3

We just unplugged our cable a couple weeks ago.  Our TV has wifi capabilities, so we stream Hulu directly to it and use a digital antenna for broadcast channels if we are interested.  We plan to sign up for Amazon Prime next week as well.  It's been pretty nice so far; I get more done because I don't watch as much TV anymore.

• 3 weeks later...

We haven't had a cable subscription in over five years. We recently got a Roku box that I love, and prior to that we were streaming Netflix through our Xbox 360. Space, I think you will like the Amazon Prime. They have some great stuff for the kids, and I love being able to shop online without having to pay for shipping. Our membership has more than paid for itself! :)

I have been cable-free for 2 years. I have a media player device that allows me to stream several services online, including Netflix, HuluPrime, Flickr, and even Facebook. I subscribe to both HuluPlus and Netflix. I also have a digital antenna, so I can even watch live tv. Not only do the savings make it worth the switch from cable, I feel like I actually have more to watch than I ever did with cable. I cannot imagine going back to paying over $100 a month for cable.

We "have" cable at the moment, but it's only because we have cable internet. The TV part of the cable is not hooked up inside the house at all. If my kids watch a show or movie, it's usually through Netflix (and possibly Hulu).

We live in a part of the UK where there are no cables laid, so the only paid TV service is satellite. We had Sky satellite once but decided that it wasn't worth what we paid and had it removed. There's enough content on free digital TV to keep us amused!

Maybe I should get with the times because I never even heard of Roku. I know about Amazon Prime because I have a business account with them, but Roku sounds like the way to go. The biggest selling point for me is that the different channels seem to focus on specific types of entertainment. Old sci-fi, newer shows, etc.... so you really do only pay for what you want. I have specific tastes so I think that will work good for me. 

There are many types of television "servers" out there, Gentle Rain. Do some research and make sure you have the right one for you. There is the Roku of course, which is what I have, but also the Boxee, AppleTV and you can also watch TV over the X-Box over which you can watch a Netflix subscription but I believe you can also watch over the Playstation and the Wii. The only bad part about the game consoles is that you can watch only Netflix, or so I believe. You may want to explore a bit before you buy. I also now use "Plex" which is an app which allows you to stream more channels from your computer to the box and the TV. There are endless combinations.

Buddys, the XBox360 now has the option to stream HuluPlus, as well as Netflix. And I agree with you that there are many ways to stream content. The device I use is made by Western Digital and is and older version of this model. One of my favorite uses, aside from using it to watch tv, is to use it to stream music from Pandora through my television.