For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

Celsius vs. Centigrade

Perfect7

Are Celsius and Centigrade just two words for the same measurement, or is there a difference between the two? I could look it up, but I figured someone here would know - and then others could learn, too.

There is a slight difference, which is too technical for me to go into here, but I was taught to use Centigrade in school as a child, although we measured temperature in Fahrenheit in those days. I believe it was renamed Celsius after a Swedish scientist sometime in the 1940s, but they are essentially the same.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

As mentioned by Silva, there is a slight difference between the two; 0.01 degrees, to be exact. The Centigrade (the word literally means 100 gradients) revolves around the freezing point whereas the Celsius scale is based on the triple point of water to measure zero degrees. The triple point of water is the state when water exists as a liquid, gas and solid at once. The change from Centigrade to Celsius was made for accuracy and standardisation purposes.