For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

Be Careful When Choosing A Dog For Your Family

inkspots2

I love dogs, all kinds of dogs, but I have learned by experience that not all breeds of dogs are compatible with all kinds of people.  Since I have a lot of children, some of the dog choices were not very good.

The dog I liked the most turned out to be the least appropriate for the family.  He was 94% Timberwolf and 6% Malemute, he was very beautiful with a black and silver coat. He loved all of the people in the family and was very gentle to us.

However, he was still a wolf by nature.  He killed one of our cats by grabbing it by the back of the neck and shaking it.  He chewed up both of our sofas, stole stuffed animals, howled like a wolf at night or when he was lonely. 

The worst of it was that we had a VW convertible in the garage we were going to restore.  He was put in the garage when the weather was bad, so he chewed off the front bumpers of the car, chewed a hole in the roof, chewed the steering wheel, chewed all of the covers off of the seats, and then put all of the stuffed animals he had stolen in the back seat.

I thought it was kind of cute but the other family members did not.  The neighbors found out he was a wolf-dog.  They were afraid of him, afraid he would harm their children, so I had to find him another home.  The lesson I learned was that he was still a wolf, he was not a dog.  I want to get another wolf-dog but that won't happen until I live far away from neighbors.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow what an experience! My daughter and her husband got a rottweiler puppy a few days before their new baby was born. They already have a 3 year old with juvenile arthritis that is controlled by drugs and my son in law is a soldier so likely to be away for long spells, so I thought that they were taking on too much.

He was such a lovely little puppy and so playful but he is only 8 months old now and is absolutely huge. He sometimes knocks the 3 year old over just because he is still a clumsy pup. I know my daughter would not have had such a large dog with hindsight and wishes that she had listened to my advice, but they love him and don't want to part with him now. I hope they get a bigger house though.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't want to try training a puppy with a newborn, we waited for a dog until our youngest was a few years old and the others could help take care of him.  We all went to the pound together to pick one out. 

"Willie" came home with us that day, a lab-pit bull mix.  He is wonderful with babies (I babysat for a friend of mine)and kids, very sweet and protective (but not in a mean way). 

I know they get a bad reputation due to lousy owners, but pit bulls are wonderful family dogs. 

• 1 month later...

We have a Husky and while he is a beautiful dog like other Huskies I have had he is very "mouthy". He likes to chew everything, including furniture and toys. I give him lots of rawhide chews but yet he still chews anything left on the floor. It is a good lesson for the kids not to leave stuff on the floor though. He is a very loving, affectionate dog though and is great with the kids. He follows me all over the house and doesn't like to be away from me. That kind of backfires sometimes though as when I have to leave the house for any length of time he hates it and goes crazy when I get back.