For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

Spacing your children -- what's the perfect age gap?

asmm0829

Hi all. I had my first child in 2014. Recently I've been thinking of having more children in the future, but I'm not sure how far apart I should space my children. I know some families "stair step" their kids about a year or two apart while others put a larger gap between each child. In your opinion, what's the perfect age gap and why?

• Like 1

Background: I have six... gaps are 17 months, 25 months, 39 months, 6 years, 40 months... so average around 3 years. The second and sixth are girls; there are about 3 years between each of the boys except the two on either side of the six-year gap. 

That said, there are advantages and disadvantages to each of the gaps. The smaller gaps at the beginning meant having multiples in diapers at the same time, but as they got older, they could do just about anything the other could do... the six-year gap had the advantage of the older one being pretty independent before the next baby, but it kind of felt like starting over - most of the baby stuff had been passed on by then. I think the 3-year gap is pretty ideal, really. 

I didn't choose the spacing, by the way, for most of them. Nursing the babies took care of that for me, except in the case of the six-year gap. 

• Like 1

I have a seven year old, a four (almost five year old), and I am expecting a baby in February. The age gap between the four and seven year old worked out really well for us. The oldest was two and a few months when the four year old was born and well on her way to daytime potty training. They play really well together, most days ;), and have a lot of the same interests still. The new baby coming in February (if she will wait that long) does feel a lot like starting over because it has been so long since we had a baby in the house. 

Edited by LA
  • Like 1