For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

Digital or Paper Books?

Quirah

Hello, as someone who reads often, I've found that I read a whole lot of digital eBooks rather than paperbacks. I think it's because it's easier to go buy free digital copies from Amazon than buying paperbacks. Do you prefer digital or paperback books, and why?

Oh my!  You are talking to an old librarian here.  Of course I prefer the paperbacks and hard backs over the digital any day.  I do own a Kindle which I use only when sitting on the beach.  It is convenient and there is no glare on the screen.  Just to touch and smell a book though beats the digital aspect every day of the week. 

It's evolution and revolution. Years after years technology evolves and it doesn't want to stop. The good thing is there's a revolution to conquer our technology with books. 

We don't how soon will the printed book gone - we hope not. But the needs of convenience living must be met. 

It is a toss up for me because I like them both. Digital books are easier to take when your on the go. Even so, I also like paperbacks because it give me the "old-timey" feeling. To me paperbacks are a more traditional way of reading and the digital books are the new way. 

I was so against ebooks, I always thought that a book has to be printed, has to have a smell and be able to turn its pages. I changed my mind when I got my ebook in 2012. I still llove printed books and I have hundreds, but ebooks are amazing. I am not afraid to make damages to its pages, since it doesn't have. It's lighter tham a 500 pages long book and I can even read standing on the bus since I don't have to mess with page turnings.

To e-book or not to e-book: that is the question.

I think it is a nobler concept to continue with our traditional, paper products. I, like others who have commented before me, adore the smell that only a newly purchased book can exude. Leafing through the pages is in itself a delight before the reading even starts, and to see rows of literature standing tall in their shelves adds character to my living room. However, as one who regularly indulges in the benefits of technology based literary consumption - easy transportation, space saving and ease of access to name but a few - I heartily embrace the e-book too. I'd like my cake and eat it, please:D

• Like 1

There is nothing better for me than the smell of a printed page...and the feel of actually holding a corner of a book and turn it to the next page. So I guess it is paper please. 

That's a tough call to make for sure! I used to be more old school and like paper books, but I love the convenience and low cost of the digital format. My local library even does digital loans, and yanks the book off of your device once the time is up. No late fees! 

I used to buy paper back books before digital books were a thing, but I do have to say now I prefer digital books. I think it's because there are so many websites where you can easily download books, it's great because it's so accessible! I don't have to leave the house and buy a book instead I can sit in the comfort of my own house and download a book. However staring at a screen can hurt my eyes so it looses points for that also there's just something so satisfying about buying a fresh book I really miss the smell.

• 3 weeks later...

Paperbacks are definitely my choice of books when reading fiction. There's just no way I could stare any screen while reading a good long story for fun. I just can't get the right feeling with any digital formats. On the other hand, when reading non-fiction, I usually always nowadays consume that digitally. Not sure why though. Maybe it's just faster and easier. Anyway, fiction needs the right mood and for me that mood comes only with paperbacks.

Like everything else in life, each has its advantages and disadvantages. I personally prefer digital to paperback books simply because of the ease of accessibility. It is extremely easy to find any book over the internet than in a library or bookshop.

I'm pretty much digital all the way now, although I can't bear to part with my old paperback/hardback book collection. It certainly minimises baggage weight when travelling. As an avid reader, I used to pack five or six books, whereas now they're all downloaded onto my Kindle/Ipad. However, I still enjoy browsing in a book shop and wouldn't dream of buying a cookbook on an e-device. They take pride of place on my kitchen worktop, food splatters and all.

Digital copy is by far the more convenient way to read a book. You can pull your phone out of your pocket and read the latest best seller.  But for me, the hard copy will always be preferred. Just the weight of the book and the smell of the paper are a heady thing. Scrolling the latest ebooks will never be as gratifying as spending hours wandering through a bookstore and discovering new favorite authors. 

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer paper books to eBooks because while reading, I find it interesting and easier to understand. While reading eBooks, I find it hard to keep myself from being distracted, I find things pretty hard to understand and boredom sets in quickly. I find reading with eBooks a waste of precious time because  I am sure to spend less than half of the time spent on reading eBooks, on reading paper books of the same subject when compared.  

I absolutely agree!  Digital is better and easier to get. Amazon has so many free books, it is easier and cheaper to get them.  My granddaughter has a bad habit of tearing and coloring pages of anything she gets her little hands on and thus goes the book.  I go through a lot of digital books and it has really upped the quantity I get to read.  Paperbacks or hardbacks, you have to purchase and wait (if you get them online)or go to a physical bookstore.  I'm into immediate gratification.  I love digital books!

Nothing can beat the smell and feel of a physical book in your hands. I grew up with a regular reading regimen that my mother placed me on starting at the age of three. Books have been a consistent part of my life, providing me with an escape from reality and depression that plagues me through my waking hours of the day. It is hard to relinquish the grip my mind has on the importance of having a physical manifestation of my imagination. That's not saying electronic books aren't great. Honestly, any form of literature is amazing, as it is still spreading the importance of the written word. I merely prefer having an actual book to overwhelm my senses.

It also probably doesn't help that I am a collector and collect all kinds of books, ranging from dime novels to comic books.

I just love books, it is not important are they digital or paperback. I used to be against digital books, but, after realising they are easier to handle, I adopted them as part of my everyday routine. I also have a lot of paperback books and I love how they smell and feel in hands. In conclusion, for me, book is book, no matter in with form.

• 1 month later...

Digital books would definitely be my favorite of the two. They are very convenient, you can store them on multiple devices just in case any one of those devices gets lost or the book gets deleted by mistake. There is additional room for added features with an ebook. For example, a web link embedded within the reading pages of the book can lead to an active website or portal which opens up a whole new aspect of the book. Paperbacks have their advantages as well, one of them being less distraction as reading a traditional book reduces the chance of being distracted by emails or other digital obstructions. With ebooks, you save time, money and storage space. Most of all we help the environment by using less paper and we can spread the joy and message of reading much further in a shorter time and less costly manner. 

Well for me, it's quite an easy decision. I choose digital e-books. This is because of my obsession to  having something truly universal and portable, and I think e-books offers just that. The fact that it is in digital form and can be access from various electronic mediums irrespective of it's size or your location is the deciding factor for me. 

I understand the appeal of convenience digital books but I prefer good old fashioned paper books.  The smell of the paper, folding pages to refer back to and taking notes in the side margins.  Sitting down or lying in bed reading a paper book is an experience that isn't as fulfilling or enjoyable with digital books.

For me, there's nothing better than have physical books because I love traditional things, I really feel connected with the book and I feel better reading in paper than in my computer. Actually, I can do both, but I just rather to have a book in my hands, knowing the exact page where I leave it the last time I read.

I absolutely prefer a real physical book.  I love a certain size, I think it is call marketplace paper back that is larger than the typical paperback.  I love that you can see where the chapter ends so you can finish in a good place.  I like to be able to see visually how much book I have left to read.  I will read ebooks but I will always prefer a tangible book.

I prefer paper to electronic data. I can take a paperback with me anywhere, and it never goes out of power. I can also read a little faster with less strain on my eyes. And I can get easily distracted and stop reading to play a game on a device. However, I do use electronic data for gathering new knowledge. There are some great pdfs out there that you can't find in print. So a healthy mix of both is my recommendation, but I'd choose paper first.

I prefer digital in this case. I'm visually impaired and it's nice to be able to enlarge the font on books on my iPad. It also saves a lot of space for me. I can understand those who enjoy the physical presence of media they own, I just don't have the room for the amount of books I have on my iPad, Also, there are many benefits to having the ability to copy and paste text that you want to quote or share with friends on social media and whatnot.