For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

Homeschool vs public school- is there a large impact on socialization?

moonmagick

Every child is different and each benefits from wildly different situations.  But overall, is your child missing out on something if you choose homeschool over public school? Are they going to be lacking in social skills later in life, or will those be more honed because they weren't handed ready made friends the first day of kindergarten? 

Socialization is learned through the family primarily, but peers consist of the second most important agent of socialization, which is basically how you learn what you learn. School has both latent and manifest functions. Some things, such as math, science, and reading, are designed in the lesson plans. Others, you learn from friend groups. So homeschooled children, like it or not, are not socialized in the same education that as kids that attend public schools. 

• 3 months later...

I would personally homeschool my child, because in today's digital era, so many valuable teachers are opting to work remotely. I was in the public school system, by my sister, 15 years my junior, was put into homeschooling by my father and step-mother, due to their travel schedule. My sister had some amazing teachers, and she was able to attend the classes at the times she set before her school year started. There were so many options out there for homeschooling, so if you didn't like the way a system was set up, just go to the next option, and repeat, until you find the one that suits your needs. 

The big question is how to keep your child socially engaged. Again, thanks to the digital era, there are so many websites you can go to and sign up your child for after-school activities, often with transportation arrangements built into the cost. I was always a kid that did better in super-quiet environments, especially when studying. I couldn't handle noise, or listen to music, like friends of mine did. After watching how my sister was able to just roll out of bed, sit at her computer for an hour with headphones, work with a teacher and students on math, go eat breakfast in our kitchen, go back to her computer for history class, only to get picked up for an archery club in the afternoon, I was blown away! 

I consequently grilled my dad for a while as to why he didn't homeschool me and just sign me up for activities. And his answer? If only these things had been so easily available when I was my sister's age. He said he never would have allowed me to get picked up by a stranger for an after-school activity. But my sister? He's able to view who the driver is, the clean background and driving histories, and once my sister was signed up, he had the driver's cell phone number and a link that would show him in real time where the van was when she was going to and from the archery range. I would definitely want my child to enjoy and excel in their schooling and social activities, so the option would definitely be on the table if my child wanted a different option than public school.

• 1 year later...

I was homeschooled, but I was an introvert who was picked on a lot, so in a way, it was a huge relief to be able to get away from the kids who were bothering me. I was also able to learn at my own pace, so on some subjects, I was more advanced than my grade level. The main issue was getting my high school transcripts when it was time to go to college. Because I was unable to produce a genuine high school diploma (I have a GED) I had to take an extra placement test.

• 2 weeks later...

There certainly is a difference in the social life of a homeschooled person compared to a person who went to a public school. School (especially high school) is usually the place where the child learns how to socialize with his peers, making it an important aspect during adolescence.

If you're going to homeschool your child, make sure to consider his social needs. Give him an opportunity to socialize in the outside world, as what social skills he/she might learn will be important in the future.

On 5/12/2017 at 12:57 PM, moonmagick said:

Every child is different and each benefits from wildly different situations.

You've hit the nail on the head.  Some children are going to respond well to some time away from socializing and focusing on their studies, while other children will find that to be a punishment.  If the child is not enjoying their time (at least enjoying it for the most part) they will lose interest and ultimately miss out on potential progress that could have been made.  

I was homeschooled for junior and senior kindergarten and went to a regular elementary school starting in grade 1.  I always felt that the focus I was able to achieve at home during those two years put me far ahead of my classmates in almost all academic pursuits.  I was already reading and doing basic math long before any of the other children were even introduced to those concepts.  The challenging part was that the other children had built friendships during those two years and I had not.  My mother did scout out the school ahead of my enrollment, and the teacher allowed me to visit the classroom twice during the senior kindergarten year.  This helped bridge the gap between me and the other children.  

• 4 weeks later...

We have decided that our now 2 year old twins will go to a private school that we applied to shortly after their first birthday.  I do see the value in homeschooling children, I just don't think it's a good option for our family.  Although all children learn differently, I believe the socialization that actual school and being around other children offers, is the best overall for learning.  I realize that today's homeschooling offers the opportunity to participate in extra-curricular activities including sports and field trips, I feel like being in school for a certain number of hours a day and away from family is best for education and socialization.