For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

What do you tell kids about LBGT community?

KarissaL

Growing up, my family was super conservative. There was literally no talk of anything that wasn't straight out of the Old Testament. After college, I had more of an open mind in regards to different lifestyles. Now that I'm about to be a mother myself, I want my children to be more accepting. How do you introduce homosexuality to your kids, and at what age?

• 2 weeks later...

I think if you act like its different than normal, then your kids won't know how to accept it. Kids pick up on the smallest things, and you want to assure them that being attracted to the same sex doesn't change the person as a human. They still laugh, love, hurt, cry, believe, and who they love doesn't change that.

• 1 month later...
On 5/24/2017 at 7:57 AM, G-Panther said:

I think if you act like its different than normal, then your kids won't know how to accept it. Kids pick up on the smallest things, and you want to assure them that being attracted to the same sex doesn't change the person as a human. They still laugh, love, hurt, cry, believe, and who they love doesn't change that.

This was exactly what I thought. If you teach your kid to love human beings for who they are, value their virtues and respect other people's choices they will have no problem accepting it as something perfectly "normal".

I have decided to be pretty open and honest with my children about matters of love and reproduction. When they ask a question about the topic I answer with an age-appropriate, but honest and forthright, explanation. Concerning matters of homosexuality, I have found it is enough to simply explain that sometimes two men love one another the way mommies and daddies do. Likewise, I do the same for lesbian couples. I have a great deal of faith in a child's ability to accept the world for what it is and, so far, I have not been disappointed in their reactions to this. I know these conversations are not always comfortable, especially as they have a tendency to pop up in crowded public places, but it is important to me that they be respectable members of society.