For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

Is it okay to Move in with Your SO Before Marriage?

KarissaL

Me and my boyfriend have been dating almost a year, and he wants to move in together. Do you think its beneficial to move in before being engaged or married?

• 2 months later...

I think it is beneficial, because you really don't know someone until you live with them. It is hard to share a space with someone, especially if you are accustom to living alone. My boyfriend and I moved in together right after we started dating, because he was at my house spending the night anyways .  The first few months of living together was hard, because he has so many annoying habits. He snores incredibly loud, never does the dishes, refuses to fold clothes, he takes forever in the bathroom, likes to play video games way too much, and for some reason he can never put his dirty clothes in the hamper; I could go on, but you get the point. After a while I learned to deal with those habits, because the good outweighed the bad. He is my best friend, and I want to spend every minute with him. Before I met him, I had moved in with a past boyfriend that I thought I was going to marry and it was miserable. It was like the longer I lived with him the more I was disgusted by him. When it got to the point that I refused to be in the same room with him, I ended it and moved out . 

Moving in together will prepare you for what the rest of your life will be like . It will either make or break the relationship . 

I would argue that it is a must to live with your significant other before marriage. You find out so much about someone when you live with him or her, and never really truly know someone until you do if you ask me. I think that it is an excellent idea to get to know someone's habits and routines before you commit to a lifelong partnership. Living together before marriage allows you to explore how compatible you are with your significant other, and this is crucial to know before promising your life to another.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a strong advocate that you should always try to live together for a while before deciding whether you want to marry this person or not. You may enjoy their presence, but you may change your opinion once you figure out the specifics of their living habits and how (in)compatible you may be. I know marriages aren't necessarily a lifelong commitment, but it takes a lot more effort to divorce than test the water beforehand. : )

I think it's always beneficial to figure someone out before you commit your entire life to them. In fact, I would probably call it sensible over not doing it. You need to learn their spending habits, their grooming habits, their housekeeping habits, and how they will treat you regarding all of these things before you marry them.

I do believe that you should move in with him if you have been dating him for a year, you should know enough about him at this point to not be too surprised by his personality behind closed doors, and if you guys are serious about each other, you should give each other a trial process in the form of staying together, after all, what is there to lose? Don't be afraid and go for it.

I say absolutely not. I lived with my husband before getting married. However, I wish I hadn't. I think there is something to be said about experiencing living together for the first time, as a married couple. You only get one "first". The "first" man you live with should be your husband. Also, from a legal stand point...no. If it doesn't work out, it may be nearly impossible to divide assets you acquired together. At least if you were married and it didn't work out, the court system could assist you in dividing what was acquired during your marriage. If you break up, how do you decide who gets what? Who leaves the house/apartment? If you live with your boyfriend, before marriage, it would be best to enter into a contractual agreement. That might not be romantic, but neither is arguing over a couch.