For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

Racism Still Exists?

CookieDough1115

Call me naive, but I had thought we were beyond that by now. I guess I was just a bit too sheltered because I had never experienced it before today. So, I was at the grocery store with my kids, and like all kids, they kept picking stuff up saying, "I want this!" Obviously, I kept telling them, "No!" Well, I guess this old, white lady got offended because she started going off on me. She was saying, "You're mean!" and "I read about you black people!" I had no idea what she was talking about, so I just said, "Let me hurry up and get out of here before I go off on this lady!" Honestly, I don't know if it was because I am black, because my kids are biracial, or she was just having a bad day, but I assumed from her comment that it had to do with me being black. This situation really ruined my whole day. Anyone else have any similar experiences?

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Of course racism still exists - and it always will exist.  Has society become more tolerant and less racist over time though?  Yes it has.

People though, are still people.  I don't think it was until recently in our history that we have learned to embrace differences among people.  I like our differences.  Just think how boring life would be if we were all exactly the same.

I don't think though that we can legislate tolerance.  It has to be found in the heart of each and every human being.  And that is going to take awhile.

There is hate in the world, and as long as there is hate in the world, there will always be racism. You cannot regulate people's hearts; you can teach them to be polite and tolerate different people in their presence, but they will always have an opinion of you that is usually kept hidden in their hearts, until a scene like the one you experienced happens. Our job as human beings is to show people love and respect so that they may learn what it means to be treated fairly, so that their own hearts may change and  see everyone as God sees us all, as valuable, precious children.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe it never really went away, sadly. It was just unnoticed by the media for a long time and is now getting more attention these days. As much as I'd want racism to end, I don't think it ever will because of how people differ. Everyone has to disagree with someone, if we cannot all agree that the world is round, then how much more if we talk about races? There are just some people out there who want to watch the world burn sadly.

• 1 month later...

I live in the south, and yes racism is very much alive. I personally can't wrap my mind around the thought of judging someone based on the color of their skin, but I was raised to not mix with black people. My family always made it seem as if black people were beneath white people. As I grew up, I realized that we are all the same. I would often think to myself if we were are the same color the world would be so bland. My family hated that I befriended a black girl in school, they refused to allow her at my house and I wasn't allow to go to her house either. I believe that racism will never die, because there are people that raise their children to believe that white people are superior. 

I now have a biracial child and most of my family has disowned me. I don't hold their ignorance against them, because just like me they was raised to believe that races shouldn't mix. Most people are very small minded and don't go against how they were raised . I was just a part of the small percentage of people that realized that my family was wrong.