For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

Could You Shoot a Person Trying to Kill You or Someone Else?

franstuff

I don't know if I could shoot another person or  not, whon as trying to harm or even kill me. I have never been a situation like that, and don't  know how I would react. I wouldn't want to hurt or kill anyone, yet I recognize there is a threshold that could be crossed which could makeit possible  

On the other hand, if someone was trying to hurt or kill another person, especially someone helpless, an elderly person, a child, or one of my family members, I think I could and would us whatever method I had to stop them. 

I don't own a gun, so that would complicate matters, but I sincerely hope I am never in one of the situations I have will described, and never have to find out the answer. Is there even a way to know what you would do without actually being in the situation?

I think the potential for violence exists in all of us.  Some more than others of course. 

Could I shoot someone trying to kill me, or someone else?  Under the right conditions, I think most people could (and perhaps even would) shoot someone else.  If I felt threatened to the point of fearing for my life (or the life of someone I love was threatened), then yes, I think I could shoot someone.  The desire to live will make people act on instinct.  Of course, I could also just freeze up - paralyzed by fear. 

There are an endless number of possible scenarios to consider as well.  If I were being attacked by someone with a knife, I don't think I'd have a problem with freezing up.  But what if the attacker had a gun?  What would I do?  In truth, I don't know what I would do and I hope I never have to find out.

• 1 month later...

I believe the instinct to protect yourself and loved ones from potential harm is animalistic. I know if my life or the life of a loved one was on the line, I would kill without a second thought.  I really don't know how I would react if it was a stranger though. I guess it would all depend on if I would be putting myself in danger trying to help. I have a child, and she is always on my mind. I doubt that I would put myself in danger for a stranger if there was a possibility of me being harm or killed, because I don't want my child to grow up without a mother.  

I have never been in such a drastic situation, thank goodness, but if I were armed, and someone was trying to hurt my girlfriend, her son, or my daughter, I am pretty sure I could shoot them. I do not believe in taking human life under any circumstances, but this would be a drastic situation, and I would react to it to save innocent lives in the face of evil acts or intentions. I have used gnus to hunt, and was raised hunting deer and elk, but i know that would be very different than having to shoot a human being. Regardless, if my loved ones were threatened, I would hope I would have it in me to protect them by any means necessary.

I'm from Indiana where castle doctrine is law. I've lived in some bad neighborhoods in the past, and some people have been in the situation described by the OP. Sometimes people have used lethal force and killed someone who was threatening their kids or SO. Castle doctrine means they can defend themselves any place as if they were at home, and with lethal force, if needed. Some of these people said, later on, they never thought they could have done it beforehand and surprised themselves with how they reacted. I think it would be impossible to really know until that situation presented itself. 

Without a doubt. Especially if someone I love is in danger. When it comes to the point where someone has to die, I would rather it be the criminal/stranger, as opposed to an someone who is innocent. However, I have never been in a situation like this and there is no sure way to tell how I would react.