For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

Dragon Ball Super: Anime vs. Manga

arachnophobik

It's been a long time that hardcore fans have waited for a decent follow up to the 90s classic: Dragon Ball Z. The now non-canon follow up, Dragon Ball GT, was a big disappointment for a lot of the hardcore fans and critics alike. Fast-forward to 2016 and the fans of the legendary classic have received an official follow up: Dragon Ball Super. The story is mostly created by a new author named Toyotarou but is acknowledged by the original author, Akira Toriyama. The hype was real and it was good for quite some time, despite a lot of people complaining about Toei and their animation, and a lot of things were also very confusing and sometimes does not make any sense at all. These things have troubled old and new fans alike, thankfully these are mainly Toei Animation's version of the story.

The actual Dragon Ball Super story is presented in the manga written by Toyotarou, and although it is about an arc late compared to the anime, it's definitely worth every chapter. The whole manga felt more like watching the classic Dragon Ball Z series. The scenes were much darker and the fights were overflowing with tense action compared to the anime. All the things that did not make sense in the anime, made perfect sense in the manga. I highly suggest to all those Dragon Ball fans out there to read the manga because the anime does not give justice to the actual series.

Dragon_Ball_Super_Key_visual.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Agree for sure that GT was an underwhelming experience, but I appreciate wholly that it contained some good ideas that were poorly executed.

When it comes to Super I believe that it is still Toriyama that creates the overall plot for the most part but only on a rather loose basis. Toyotaro for the manga and the producers of the anime then elaborate and expand these points for use in their respective versions. The animation quality for the start of Super was bad for the opening arcs in the anime that is for sure, and while I agree Toyotaro has done a good job on the manga he has made some continuity errors in some of the more recent chapters.

In general I think the series is getting better as it progresses. The opening few arcs were underwhelming, the Zamasu arc was a significant improvement but not without its faults. But the new Universal Survival arc seems to be Dragon Ball back to its best again at this moment in time, let's hope they don't ruin it!