For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

PRIDE

Quirah

I'm sure that everyone knows by now, but it is PRIDE month. Therefore, there are a bunch of displays up right now in stores supporting PRIDE, usually rainbows. So the other day while in a store with my little cousins, one noticed a rainbow flag and shirt, and she loved it. However, since she was five at the time (six now) and not my kid, I didn't explain to her what the rainbow actually symbolized. Because of this, I started to wonder, when is the right time to explain PRIDE and anything LGBT to your kid? 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

This is a loaded question Quirah.  I guess it would all depend on how you want to form her opinion of the matter.  I would wait until she was a little older though.  At 5 years old she wouldn't understand either school of thought on this subject.  I do hope you told her mom about the situation so she could handle it at a later date.  You were wise not to take on the subject with someone else's child.  

• 2 months later...

I have to agree with @tonijon that this is a topic that's not only loaded but subjective as well. Just like you didn't bother to explain this to that child that you came across, individual parents are best left to decide this on their own. There are some that opt not to tackle this topic completely and I believe that everyone (including them) is entitled to their opinion(s).

Edited by lelan254

• 1 month later...
On 6/27/2017 at 7:49 AM, Quirah said:

, when is the right time to explain PRIDE and anything LGBT to your kid? 

When they ask. Taking into account, of course, their age. You explain it differently to a 15 year old than you would to a 5 year old, using words they would understand. 

Personally, I would keep this topic neutral if I had to explain it to my child. Meaning, I wouldn't say that it's right or wrong, I would just explain the facts and let them decide for themselves whether it is right or wrong.