For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

Quirky film recommendations?

ElderflowerFizz

I really like films with quirky or unusual characters, or story lines that are original and offer a new perspective on life. So I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations? Some of my favourite films like this are Amelie, Lars and the Real Girl, Napoleon Dynamite, Be Kind Rewind... probably others, but I can't bring them to mind right now :rolleyes: 

The first director that comes to my mind when it comes to the term "quirky" is Edgar Wright. If you haven't seen Hot Fuzz, Shaun of the Dead, or World's End, I'd recommend checking them out! Wright has a way of creating an intriguing world of quirky characters and scenarios, and I can't get enough of his work. Not to mention his movies progress at such a natural pace and flow particularly well from scene to scene.

On the darker side of things, I really like Tucker and Dale vs. Evil, which is a hilarious look into the horror movie genre. It's structured like a horror movie, but it's really a dark comedy that flips the entire genre on its head, using horror movie tropes to dissect the genre. Quirky characters and plot line, you won't regret watching it!

Mulholland Drive is pretty quirky.  It's a David Lynch movie.  I've also seen Blue Velvet and Lost Highway but Mulholland Drive is the best.  It really draws you in and the ending is sort of surprising but when you think back through the movie it sort of makes sense.  I've never seen Twin Peaks, which is probably what he is best known for.

Try exploring the European film industry. I've been blown away by some of the movies I  watched recently.

I feel in love with Wild Things (Relatos salvajes). It's a thriller like no other (except for, maybe, Seven Psychopaths). A Man Called Ove  (En man som heter Ove) was my first encounter with Swedish cinema and I am not planning to stop there. Enjoy :)

An older film that I found very entertaining as a kid was "Young Einstein", featuring Yahoo Serious as the lead. The film is about a rural Australian man who is obsessed with putting the bubbles in beer. This pursuit leads him down all manner of strange avenues from an old-world insane asylum to a prestigious gathering of the world's greatest minds in the finale. He eventually invents a means of carbonating his beer by splitting atoms, ostensibly creating the world's first atomic bomb. Of course, the fun is in the journey as this is by no means serious cinema. It's got a nice theme song, "Great Southern Land", by a popular 1980's band called Icehouse. If you like quirky movies I think you will enjoy this.