For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

Is it humane or inhumane to use a shock collar to keep your dog in your yard?

AquaTrey

I have been thinking about getting a new dog. I haven't had one for 11 years because I moved quite a bit from apartment to apartment, and pets weren't allowed. Plus, I wanted a dog I could keep in the back yard. I keep hearing about shock collars but don't know much about them. Am seeking some advice on whether to use one or not to keep my dog inside my yard? Fences are expensive, but shock collars sound cruel.

As a former musher and dog team owner I don't like shock collars at all. Build a dog yard and make it big enough. Reason why I don't like shock collars is that if a dog can't see the barrier you're only making it afraid of going to certain areas. How would you like an electric shock every time you reach the outside of a certain perimeter? I know that if I did that to my dogs they would be more stressed out and uncontrollable in most settings. Give them a space that is theirs. :)

I think putting a shock collar on your dog is an awful thing to do. I would imagine as the dog was learning the boundaries of the yard it would be scared to go anywhere at all. Imagine yourself in that situation. How would you feel? I know I wouldn't want to chance moving for fear of another shock. If you do/did have a child, how would you teach them to stay in the yard? I'm assuming most people would have a fence put up. Aside from the fact that it seems cruel to keep your dog in your yard by the use of a shock collar, what's to keep other dogs from running into your yard to attack your dog? Not to mention your dog may get shocked just for trying to run away from the dog that's trying to attack it.

Yes, I agree with you shock collars are cruel and inhumane. Caring for pets can be tricky because they are very resourceful and will get what they set their minds to. They are also very smart and can learn a lot from a patient owner. Is it possible for the animal to stay indoors when you are not home? I'm sure that if you search FB, craigslist you'll find someone who will not charge you an absurd amount of money for the fence. It also takes time and patience to find reliable people to do work in your home, but it is out there. Just don't give up! Also, try asking at home depot for the service. I don't mean the store personnel, but many people hang around home depot to offer their services. Good luck to you and your dog.

• 2 weeks later...

For me, I would say, it depends on what kind of a dog you have. You know, shock collars were built for a reason. Sometimes, you need it to discipline a very aggressive dog that chases a mailman, or a dog that loves to poop on your neighbor's backyard. I have a dog that's very aggressive, and I guess it was my fault because I haven't disciplined her when she was young. I regret it now and I wish I have a shock collar because I think it's better than chaining her up five feet away from her dog house her entire life. There was a time she got loosed and she ate all my neighbor's pet chickens, and though she's chained five feet long, she managed to kill two of our pet cats. So, if you have that kind of dog, I would say it's better buying a shock collar than chaining him or putting him in a cage for life.

Shock collars in my opinion are cruel. You need to be patient with the animal to teach the dog boundaries both outside and inside. Thinking about it realistically, what do you think will happen when the dog reaches the boundary? The collar shocks the dog around it's neck. Would you want to be shocked around your neck if you went past a boundary someone didn't want you passing? If the answer is no, then that should be the indicator of whether you should have a dog wear one. It is your responsibility to put up a fence and teach the dog what it's boundaries are within the area allotted. 

Although some have noted that for certain types of dogs, i.e. aggressive ones, a shock collar is necessary to maintain a level of control when they get out of hand, I personally disagree. I do not think any form of physical discipline is necessary to teach better behavior. Especially when they make dog collars that can release smells or sounds that are annoying to dogs so instead of being hurt they are just kinda annoyed.

When my dog acts up I spray him with water. (He's not a fan of being wet, lol!) It only took a few weeks of me using the spray bottle for him to begin to recognize it when i got it out.

Now I just hold it and he behaves better!