For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

Would you go without power for 30 days?

Danete Compton

Yes, it is possible, while I can say it's not easy but it possible. I tried this as an experiment last year and tho it was hard, we were able to do it. For entertainment, we read a lot of books, used a battery operated lantern for light, and cooked on a grill. We took a lot of cold showers because with no power there was no hot water, but we managed. I can say after the 30 days, I was happy to get my power back. Would you go without power for 30 days?

Yes, that would be very hard for us because I have my grandkids and I would solely think about them as far as cooking and be able to take showers because we wouldn't have any hot water.

Staying without power for 30 days is possible, but it would take me 30 months to plan for. How could I work without an inbox, my blog, and my social media accounts?

I don't know about others but it is impossible for me to live without power for even 1 day. As I live in a country with very hot temperature where many people even die due to the heat wave of the summer, living without power would be a nightmare for me. Plus, I am really addicted to use electric devices, so that would be more hard for me.

I would and I have. We have a cabin with no power, no water and no phone service inside. Well a phone or any battery equipment would be "power" wouldn't it? I guess as long as you're motivated to work for comfort, it's not a big task. In addition to that, our cabin is in polar bear territory so we need to look out for them as well. It's not very comfortable hearing the bear outside but normally they are just curious yet easily frightened. My girlfriend smacked one on the nose once. It stuck the nose in the door opening and she was standing next to it with a shovel in her hand. I stood on the other side with my bear protection rifle. Deal was, and it still is, we do our best to scare them off before shooting. 

I don't feel it's particularly hard to live without power, it is hard(er) for sure, but that just makes it nicer to come home, take a long hot shower and watch tv with a take out pizza on the table. Makes me really appreciate what we have. 

That would solely depend on the setting for me, and if gas is an option.  I'm a big fan of camping outside, for example, but not in 100 degree weather.  So to go without electricity in a house, I would need to live somewhere that is cold enough that I won't overheat inside.  I have an aunt who lives in Central Oregon, and she always has her windows and all doors open in her house in good weather.  I love that open setting, and would be willing to use gas to heat water for showers.  So if I could have gas, and do at a location, or time of year that wasn't too hot, I would totally go without electricity, probably for longer than 30 days!  I'll just make sure to use the car to charge my smart phone. :)

No, thanks, I wouldn't. It's possible of course, but life would be really hard without power for a whole month. And I guess it's not just house electricity you're talking about but no access to any form of electrical power; meaning you can't use other means to charge your devices or to pump water into the overhead tank for example. Well, for evening illumination I'll get by with a combination of the good old candlestick and a small battery-powered hand torch.

• 2 months later...

I suppose I could go without electricity for a month, but I'd prefer not to, especially not at this time of year in Kentucky when the days are short and the weather is getting colder.  It would be easier to do in the summertime.

I would like to say yes, I really do. But unfortunately, that's not the case. I'm pretty much dependant on power. If I don't have power, I can't make any calls, I can't use my computer and I can't stream Netflix. 

Netflix wouldn't be the biggest issue, but the inability to call people and use my computer is the biggest issue as I make a lot of calls each day, and without it I wouldn't be able to work nor would I be able to hang out with friends without going over to them. And I mean, going over to friends just to ask if they want to hang out is a little exhausting, don't you think?

For me, that's an easy yes! I grew up on a farm without electricity and I know how to make the best of such a situation. Of course, having lived in the city for the past 20 years has changed me a lot, but I feel that I'll always be able to cope if ever I found myself without running water, power, internet or any of the other modern conveniences we enjoy today.

Earth Hour alone is tough, and 30 days? Well, that's definitely a hard challenge. What I would do is probably buy a bunch of power banks, charge them fully and then I guess I would be able to charge my phone for 30 days. Hopefully, I won't have to go 30 days without power, as that would probably almost kill me. I use power every day, and without it, I don't know what I would do. I've had this debate with many of my friends, and the conclusion we usually come to is that power today is essential. Everything we do requires power. Making food, washing clothes and the ability to see things in the dark are things that we must have every day. A lot of people would argue and say, "Well, 500 years ago they didn't have any power, and they managed. Afterall, we're here, aren't we?". 

The thing is though, that we are dependent on power. We don't just need it to make things easier, it's essential for our survival. If we were without power for a month, almost 20% of the population would die according to a lot of research.