For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

Would you do what you love and starve? Or would you do what you hate and make a living?

NoweherenearHim

Real artists don't starve, they say. But why are many creatives starving today?

Writers, poets, playwrights, painters, sculptors, etc. Many are in their den pushing out underappreciated works. Many work day jobs. Consequently, they work at night and sleep little.

So, they don't only starve, they also burn the candle and strive to create excellent works.

Which begs the question: would you do what you love and starve? Or would you do what you hate and make a living?

Call me an optimist, but I like to think that there are options between the two extremes. Yes, artists usually aren't appreciated during their lifetimes )at least, the appreciation isn't shown in dollars and cents). But like you said, there's the option of working a day job and creating art during evenings and weekends. There are also plenty of fields where art and business intersect--things like advertising, education, and publishing. I wouldn't do a job I hate just to make a living, but I think resourceful artists can find work that allows for some personal expression.

I don't want to judge but I really believe many people lack passion for what they do, they work where they work to put food on the table. That's fair, we can't all be dreamers. On the other hand many late night beers with friends have been about this topic. "Would you pursue your dream even if you were poor doing it?" Well, same conclusion comes up, atleast in my head, are you really "poor" when your mind is at peace? Everyone is naturally drawn towards what they are good at, why not be your own guide instead of following what is around you?  

I always like doing the things I love, but if doing those things bring me close to starvation, I would rather be doing something I hate for a living. Having said that, the sky is wide enough for every bird to fly: the modern world presents us with countless opportunities to earn a living doing what we are passionate about, so I'm sure most people won't find themselves having to make that choice you're suggesting.

• 3 weeks later...

Most people nowadays, really do what they hate to make a living. It's not just the artists that were underappreciated, but also those people who graduated with a degree in some course but ends up doing different jobs. Our societies today are growing fast that not enough people could do what they really love, unlike before, so few people have more resources that they can even make time for themselves to become powerful, and popular like Picasso or Da Vinci because there's only a few of them who are geniuses. Today, I guess, you have to combine creativity and intelligence like Mark Zuckerberg did to become famous and rich, and you have to start on what people really need. If only I can invent a device that grants people what they want to dream when they sleep, whether flying or having a dozen women then I'll be popular too and very rich. 

I work a job I necessarily don't like. But that's everything. I've worked many departments at Wal-Mart and hated those jobs. I've never liked any job that I've ever had. I've dreamed of winning the lottery so I can stay home with my wife and kids. But that'll never happen. I work to make a living and to put food on the table and a roof over my head. It's just one of those things most people have to do. 

Truthfully, I cannot settle on one interest to do as a job for the rest of my life. I am not the type of person that would stay at one job forever no matter how much it would pay. Some people can stay at a workplace they are hired into from graduation (high school or college) to retirement. I am not that kind of person. I am in my forty's and the thought of doing any one job until I retire in my sixty's  really bothers me. Staying at one job for over twenty years is a huge commitment. It is something that really needs to be considered before taking the job. To me, it is like marriage. You don't rush into anything you may regret later. I would rather struggle and starve than do something I loath. It hurts the employer and it hurts yourself.