For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

Hurricanes and Earthquakes

tonijon

Recent natural disasters are the headlines today.  Hurricane Harvey, hurricane Irma, hurricane Jose and the earthquake in Mexico last night.  My heart goes out to all the people affected by these acts of nature.  I just cannot imagine what they are going through.  Why is it that some years are worse than others?  Does anyone have an opinion on this?

• Like 1

We have indeed seen some big natural disasters in the past few days, especially hurricanes. What's been most interesting to me is how fast they've developed and how big they can get in a matter of hours. I believe the hot temperatures in the water have contributed to such strong hurricanes. I do hope everyone that has gone through these is safe and can recover quickly. We should always be prepared, nature is unpredictable. 

• 2 weeks later...

Don't forget the wildfires too! It seems as if a large part of the world is facing some kind of catastrophic natural disaster right now. I believe hurricane season continues until the middle of November so we are still not out of the woods for more destruction on that end. I also saw on the news this morning that several volcanoes are erupting in different parts of the world. Mother Nature seems to be pretty upset right now!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LA said:

........the wildfires too!.............hurricane season continues until the middle of November........several volcanoes are erupting in different parts of the world.

Mother Nature seems to be pretty upset right now!

And who could blame her? We don't have  a good track record of being responsible stewards of the earth. Strip mining....fracking......deforestation.....all these activities and more destabilize the natural growth and weather cycles of the planet. We take more than we give back. We do not create a balance between ourselves and the earth, while the earth has always maintained balance within itself. This is why nature has been the way it is, relatively unchanged, for far longer than when we began walking upright.  

• Like 1

It will continue to worsen until we get a handle on global warming,  and curb our own and our selfish, careless human behavior. Our political system is an oligarchy with an EPA chair that denies climate change, so no help there.  I've been preparing for a natural disaster by putting away more money towards my emergency fund and building up a stockpile of food, water, and medical supplies both in my own home and at my mother's home in another state in case we have to evacuate.

Edited by SableC.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

But if push comes to shove Sable, some people say water will be the new currency. Put a teaspoon of bleach in a 10 gallon jug of water and it helps keep the water drinkable for years. http://modernsurvivalblog.com/survival-kitchen/bleach-water-ratio-for-drinking-water/

Some preppers go so far as to tag the water with the date that they purified it because they have so many.  I personally think that's overkill, but they are still the type I would want in my camp should TSHTF.

That said, I have lived long enough to know that the next few years should be quieter on the natural disaster front. It seems like every 5 years their is a major uptick in activity.