For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

The Best Shows on Netflix

Mal

What are the best shows on Netflix right now? They have been slowly removing all of my go-to shows like 30 RockMalcolm in the Middle, and Always Sunny in Philidelpiha. Now, Bloodlines and (supposedly) House of Cards are over, so I'm in desperate need of some new shows that are worthy of binge-watching. I usually lean towards comedy shows, but I can do more serious ones if the cast and storyline is compelling enough. Anyone have any suggestions? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You should give Extras a try, Mal.  The first season starts as a show about an ambitious actor named Andy Millman who shoots for the moon.  Unfortunately, he misses the moon (starring role), and he doesn't land among the stars (supporting role), instead he's more or less hanging about with the debris that floats around in outer space (working as an extra).   Of course, being called an extra doesn't properly connote the amazing range of Andy's acting capabilities, so he often calls himself a "background artist" instead.  He's represented by a bumbling agent with little to no experience in the entertainment field.  Each episode has a celebrity that is involved in the plot like Kate Winslet, Samuel L. Jackson, and Ben Stiller.   It's written by Ricky Jarvis and Stephen Merchant.  Anything they touch turns into comedic gold.  

One advantage to settling in with Extras is that there are only two seasons and a Christmas special to binge on.  It's like being on a binge-watcher's diet with time to relax and time to get stuff  done. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Why didn't I know this show existed? I love everything I've ever seen with Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant and I'm sure this won't be any different. You're totally right; everything they touch is comedic gold. What sold me even more is that there's an episode with Daniel Radcliffe. That's amazing. Two seasons of a completed show really is the perfect amount for binging. Thanks for the great suggestion! 

You know what, I have always been a procrastinator and so I have just signed up for the free trial that expires after a month. I always hear everybody talk about Netflix and how great the movies and TV shows in there are fun to watch. I am just about to watch Journey 2. Any reviews/spoilers?

Edited by lelan254
  • Like 1

Ha, I totally get procrastination. Have you been enjoying your free trial? They have some great original content that you should check out before your trial ends since you can't find it anywhere else. I don't know what kind of shows you like, but as I mentioned above, I highly recommend Bloodlines and House of Cards (although that's not a popular choice now because of, you know, Kevin Spacey). If superheroes are more your speed, there are a lot of great ones on there. My personal favorite is Jessica Jones. Then there's Stranger Things which is also super popular, but I've never seen it. 

Anyway, back to your original question, I've never seen Journey 2, but the reviews online don't look super great. I don't always find myself agreeing with a lot of reviews online though. I say anything with Josh Hutcherson or Dwayne Johnson are things that are usually worth my time. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2018 at 10:34 PM, Mal said:

Ha, I totally get procrastination. Have you been enjoying your free trial? They have some great original content that you should check out before your trial ends since you can't find it anywhere else. I don't know what kind of shows you like, but as I mentioned above, I highly recommend Bloodlines and House of Cards (although that's not a popular choice now because of, you know, Kevin Spacey). If superheroes are more your speed, there are a lot of great ones on there. My personal favorite is Jessica Jones. Then there's Stranger Things which is also super popular, but I've never seen it. 

Anyway, back to your original question, I've never seen Journey 2, but the reviews online don't look super great. I don't always find myself agreeing with a lot of reviews online though. I say anything with Josh Hutcherson or Dwayne Johnson are things that are usually worth my time. 

The free trial is alright but I am still not sure if I should start subscribing. I will  be travelling a lot in the next few months and it might not be a good idea to pay and not utilize the service. I loved Designated Survivor but I am not sure of the genre in which it falls in. I am a huge fan of thrillers! I haven't even gotten time to watch Journey 2 (see what procrastination does?)

Edited by lelan254

• 11 months later...

I don't really watch any of the shows Netflix offers. I know I'm not fully utilizing the service and I need to change that to start getting my money's worth.

Someone recently recommended The Crown to me. Is that Netflix or is it Amazon Prime? Either way, I'll be looking into it this winter because anything that relates to royalty and has some truth to it fascinates me. Their way of life, especially the traditions, is so interesting.

What's on your watch list for 2019?

My favorite Netflix original with a 2019 release is Stranger Things. The 1980s science fiction storyline is suspenseful and funny, and I love the main characters and cast. Tied for second is Black Mirror, even with most of the episodes being bleak to downright disturbing. The Crown is just as intriguing, and I like that the actors changed to reflect the featured royals as they mature.

• Like 1

@Mal, what are some of the original series Netflix has that are good? I know they have, "Orange is the New Black," but what else? I'm looking for some new shows to watch, too.