For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

Raising self-confident children

ijfamily

Every parent wishes that their children are self-confident, i.e., are confident in themselves. What most parents however do not know is how to raise their children to become self-confident. At birth, every child by nature is naive. It takes parental grooming, nurturing,  proper guidance and exposure to instill self-confidence in a child. Here are some tips that can help parents to inculcate confidence in their children:

• The parents should work on themselves first to attain self-confidence before working on their children. A self-confident parent will most likely raise self-confident kids.
  • Allow the child to be a child; don't expect too much from them and allow them to make their mistakes and learn from them.
  • Don't be overly critical. A child that is overly criticized will ever lack self-confidence.
  • Avoid indulgence. The more you indulge a child, the more they remain dependent, naive and unable to be themselves.
  • Be generous with words of praise for every progress the child makes and for every achievement.
  • Finally, make good use of the three important A's in the life of every child - Attention, Affection and Affirmation.

These six steps will help any parent who so desires to raise self-confident children.

Shalom.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

This is a great post, thank you for posting it. I agree with each step and endeavor to do just that. I often think about what it was like when I was little, as I have very clear memories from as early as 3 years old. My parents did not do a great job at parenting, mostly because they didn't really care. I grew up being socially awkward and lacking a lot of the skills needed to deal with everyday life. I was never given any attention, I was criticized a lot and was expected to behave a certain way as to not annoy the adults.

I have since worked hard and remedied a lot of the damage they caused by their poor parenting skills.

As we adults, value growing self-confidence in us, helping and guiding our children build theirs in the process, is the most important and strengthening learning-teaching relationship we should hold in honor with our children.

• 2 weeks later...

What a fantastic set of tips. Many thanks for posting this. I think that a key point you raise in your post is that we must model  and demonstrate self-confidence in our own behaviour if we want our children to follow suit. We are the key role-models for their behaviour and they look to us to set a good example. This can also be a learning opportunity for ourselves to develop our own self-confidence as we teach it to the next generation.