For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

I've been watching the Winter Olympics, which not only includes the amazing athletic events, but all the scandals that go along with them.  Just recently, a Russian curler lost his bronze medal after testing positive for a banned substance.  Alexander Krushelnitckii competed with his wife in the mixed-doubles curling event and while her test results came back clean,  Krushelnitckii's did not.  It raises plenty of questions, but no one seems to address why the curler needed a performance-enhancing drug in the first place.  Curling is an intense sport, but it's more about strategy and skill than speed or brute strength.  Curlers aren't jumping, running, skiing, fighting, swimming, or racing.   Why take a banned substance?   It's not surprising that a Russian athlete has violated the anti-doping rules, but it is surprising to me that it's a curler. 

Are you following the games and gossip?  Has anything stood out to you?

Edited by SableC.

If I remember correctly, Russia is banned from sending their athletes to the Olympics because of drug abuse. The ones from Russia competed as neutral participants. I imagine this will only extend the ban given to Russia and their athletes from participating in international competitions. I don't know much about curling, but I agree with you that it seems unnecessary. I also wonder why the test results came out after he received the medal. Aren't such test usually done before the games?

• Like 1

I'm with you Migi.  Why is this testing not done before competition?  Also, why, oh why would an athlete jeopardize themselves by taking any kind of drugs? Some have worked their whole lives for this one moment and they take an unnecessary chance of losing it all.  I just don't understand.   

Edited by tonijon
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2018 at 5:12 AM, Migi said:

I also wonder why the test results came out after he received the medal. Aren't such test usually done before the games?

The Olympic athletes are tested both before and after their event.  I believe he won his match and the bronze medal then took the drug test as usual.  It takes time to run them and if one test is positive the lab checks a second sample.  I believe each athlete gives two samples in case there are issues.  His sample came up positive both times.  It amazes me whenever an athlete is caught cheating and I just don't understand why they'd risk it all.  Whether it's a Russian curler or Lance Armstrong, why cheat?  And do they really believe they'll get away with it?