For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

Where do you grocery shop? How do you save money on your grocery bill?

suzeyhill

I'm just curious if others feel their grocery bill is outrageous.  I coupon when I can and shop at a couple of the grocery outlets in our area. Some of their prices are much better than the typical grocery store.  Where do you grocery shop? How do you save money on your grocery bill?

Well... I am a Dollar Tree, Dollar General, and Family Dollar gal for grocery shopping as of the last couple of years. 

I have shopped at Piggly Wiggly, Food Depot, and Wayfield Foods back in the day though it seems to me that some store brands have MORE INTEGRITY than the HOUSEHOLD NAMES.

I say, "You can't beat it for a $1 unless there's two or more items for sale at that same price". 

What are your thoughts of support or opposition?

I tend to shop at more than one supermarket for my weekly shop.  It takes a little more time than just getting everything from one place, but I've got it down to a fine art now. 

I can have all my shopping done for a family of 4 in a little under an hour. 

Although I do agree with the original poster, grocery bills nowadays are ridiculous, no matter how bargain savvy you are!

I mostly shop at Safeway because I'm part of their rewards program and I find it does save me money. I also shop at Trader Joe's because of their low prices in general. Some of the things I do:

1. Check the weekly ads for sale prices.
  2. Clip coupons but I've found there are very few for the products I use most often.
  3. Look for cheaper cuts of meat and make soups and stews.

I think even little things you do can add up so I try to save where I can. 

• Like 1

This year has been an overhaul in my shopping habits for health purposes, and money became a primary. When I first started it seemed prohibitively expensive to be healthy. I've gotten into meal prep, which requires a shopping list before I go anywhere. Having that helps me scan local grocery store sales and coupons, even browse the shopping apps they have to price everything out. It takes a little more effort, but I'm willing to put a few extra minutes in to stay within my budget and diet. 

• 5 weeks later...

I live in England and we shop at Asda. We save money by cooking our meals from scratch, and taking advantage of special offers when they are available. We like pasta, fish, veg and salad. We also sometimes eat the vegetarian food Quorn, which is very tasty. We also like rice, couscous and potatoes.

We used to have an allotment where we grew our own vegetables and fruit, and we still have some of these in our freezer. On the allotment some people kept chickens, and we were often given eggs, as the hens would lay more eggs than the allotment holders could eat. We gave up the allotment because we moved house, but we would like to get another one in our new area.

I switch between two different grocery stores depending on what I’m buying. If I need to buy an item I use a lot of, like toilet paper or toothpaste, I go to Sam’s club. Buying in bulk is more expensive upfront but you end up saving more over time when you don’t have to buy that same item as often. If I need to get something that I don’t use as much or I want good fresh produce I go to Payless which is my towns version of Kroger. They have low base prices plus they often have sales. On top of those sales they even double any coupons you have in my area. 

Kroger!! I love Kroger. I have downloaded their app where I can search for the best deals, coupons, etc. The best part is, if you link it to your phone number, you can save your coupons so when you get to the counter to pay, you simply enter your phone number and all of your saved coupons apply. You can also use the app to create your grocery lists so you don't have to carry around a piece of paper and a pen to make sure you got everything. The grocery list also helps with straying from what you are there to buy. When you create a list and stick to it, you wont have an outrageous bill after spontaneously grabbing things that you want instead of what you need. 

I shop at King Soopers.  It is right across the street from my apartment building, which is very convenient.  To save money on my grocery bill, I add digital coupons to my King Soopers card.  I also look through the store's weekly ad for sales on items I buy often.