For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

Why is my hair so dry?

kjanderson

I recently got a hair cut and my hairdresser was shocked at how dry my hair was! I used to have very oily hair, so I started using a shampoo and conditioner set that was supposed to stop my hair from being oily, but apparently it worked too well! I am trying to figure out what to do about this problem (I have already purchased a hydrating shampoo and conditioner set), but I am worried about my hair now!

Well, maybe you wash your hair to often now. Just leave your hair unwashed for some time, so they will naturally oil themself. You could also use an towel to dry your hair and not electronic hair dryer.

Hope this helps. :)

• 1 month later...

Over washing is one of the main reasons for dandruff! Your scalp needs it's own essential oils to stay healthy. No - you don't want to leave your hair greasy and smelly, but you do want to allow the natural oils a chance to do their job. I wash my hair every 5-7 days and it very rarely gets oily. It took a while for my hair cycle to figure itself out (2-3 weeks), but give it a chance and I'm sure you will be happy with the results! (also, try applying a small amount of coconut oil to the ends of your hair after washing and brush through - works like a charm!)

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, thanks for sharing this topic and try not to panic because your hair is resilient and it can recover! I agree with @Macy M. C.  on the "over-washing" and need for essential oils.

I was told by an industry pro that most shampoos are actually very damaging and drying to hair. Conditioning your hair is key. I switched to shampooing with a very light essential oils-based shampoo and like @Macy M. C. I only shampoo once or twice a week.

On the other hand, I condition my hair almost every single day but I don't use a ton of product and the conditioner is also oil based.

Tip: when you apply conditioner, start at the ends of your hair and work slowly up to your scalp. Don't pile it into the top of your scalp and work down, or you will actually make your hair oily :-)

Work it through very gently and leave it in for a bit before rinsing.  Read every label too! Look for natural ingredients + sulfate free products.

And avoid blow drying too! Let your air dry naturally.  If you have to blow dry, put it on an air setting or the lowest one. The other thing to remember to do is to protect your hair from the sun. It's just like your skin, so make sure you wear a hat when possible.

@kjanderson I'd love to hear back on how this change from shampooing to mainly conditioning works for you because I was amazed at the results I experienced from this small change in how I take care of my hair! In less than a month,  my hair looked and felt so much healthier! Also, it does not cost a fortune as there are lots of natural inexpensive products out there right now.

Please keep us posted!

• 1 month later...

I am not sure the main reason for your oily hair, but I can tell you that often oily hair is a sign of dehydration.  The skin of our scalp and our hair are not intended to be oil free zones.  When our skin is too dry or dehydrated, often our skin and hair follicles work hard, over-producing oil, to compensate for this. This leads to the appearance of oily skin or hair.  If you then use a shampoo that prevents your follicles from producing the oil you need, you end up with dry hair and a dry scalp.  Try drinking more water, adding a hair skin and nails multivitamin, a weekly hot oil treatment, and try only using the oil control products once a week.  

• 4 weeks later...

I am not sure what type of hair you have, but I have curly hair and it is naturally very dry. I stopped using shampoo on my hair about 8 years ago and my hair has since transformed for the better. It is now shiny and no longer so dry. I use conditioner to wash my hair and just some sulfate-free and silicone-free styling products. I also use extra virgin coconut oil as a mask. Some friends of mine have also stopped using shampoo and it has changed their hair.

• 6 months later...

It's difficult to know the exact cause for your dry hair without knowing all of your habits, but I'm hoping if I share some tips I've learned from dealing with my own hair issues, you can find something that can heal your hair. 

1. Try not to wash your hair too frequently. Washing every day can strip your hair of necessary oils. 

2. Condition your hair before washing. Shampoo can sometimes be too affective. Using conditioner first can lock in some of the beneficial oils that your hair naturally produces. 

3. Drink water! I have a hard time with this one because I simply don't like water, but water is really affective in healing many things including dry hair! 

I hope these tips were helpful, and I hope you're able to achieve happy, healthy hair that makes you feel confident. Best of luck.