For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

Is Social Media Helping or Hurting?

grimmsly96

I'll be the first to admit that the Internet has changed the world and there's no going back. Social media keeps us connected in ways that we could never even have fathomed three decades ago. It's amazing in many ways but in my experience, I have found that sometimes it can hurt me more than it helps. It's very easy to get addicted and to feel as though you must gain validation in these online social groups. I've recently decided that it is better for me to delete my social media accounts for the time being. 

I believe in doing everything in moderation. Social media is great for keeping in touch with loved ones who live far away, for meeting new people, for finding a community and feeling a sense of belonging, and for expressing ideas and opinions. Too much social media, however, can be addicting and detrimental, as mentioned before. I'm not sure how someone could maintain a good balance between fun and obsessive since it's hard to find exactly where that line is, and it differs from person to person. 

• 4 weeks later...

I can completely relate to what you are saying.  I find myself getting way too addicted to social media if I don't really watch myself.  While I am not willing to delete the accounts altogether at this point, I do often utilize an app timer that pops up to remind me to put my phone down after I have spent a certain amount of time, or opened an app a certain number of times, each day.  That helps, but isn't entirely foolproof. 

• 3 weeks later...

Social media came to make our life easier, but we use it in such a manner that it is becoming more and more harmful to our mental health.

It is the best source to connect with your old friends and make new friends. It opens a way to find new people and connect with them. But at the same time it is addictive and it triggers sadness more than the sense of well-being.

I agree that in some cases, such as bullying, social media can definitely hurt more than it helps. But in other cases, it can be an asset. As mentioned above it's great for connecting with family and friends. But it can also help you build and promote a business, plan and/or find local events, and find employment. It's also important to remember you largely control your experience online, what you choose to view, and who you choose to "add".

Social media helps to connect with our friends and relatives in an easy manner. Personally, I find social media very helpful in connecting with many old friends from school or college who were out of touch due to some reason or the other, and I am thankful to social media for this.

Social media does both, especially if you post your opinions. I use it more for entertainment purposes than keeping in touch with family and friends. However, I have found people from my childhood I haven't talked to in a long time. 

• 3 weeks later...

De

On 5/7/2018 at 2:06 AM, grimmsly96 said:

I'll be the first to admit that the Internet has changed the world and there's no going back. Social media keeps us connected in ways that we could never even have fathomed three decades ago. It's amazing in many ways but in my experience, I have found that sometimes it can hurt me more than it helps. It's very easy to get addicted and to feel as though you must gain validation in these online social groups. I've recently decided that it is better for me to delete my social media accounts for the time being. 

Deciding to delete your social media accounts, in order to stop it from taking most of your time is going overboard if you ask me. Instead of deciding to stay away from social media altogether, you should do things that will make you spend less time with it.

If you have some very interesting things to do offline, you'll find yourself searching for time to use social media. Sometimes you'll be so absorbed in doing the other interesting things that you'll forget to use your social media account that day.