For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

Cats or Dogs

Cherokee68

My husband and I are trying to decide on a pet. He wants a dog because he thinks they are friendlier and easier to train. I want a cat because they are okay being left alone all day, and let's face it, they're so pretty! Which one would you pick?

I say the most telling thing to consider between dogs and cats is how active the owner is or wants to be. Dogs need to be exercised. If dogs are not walked, they become fat and sickly; they are not happy. Leaving a dog out in the backyard to poop and pee everyday is not exercise for a dog. You  also have to pick the messes up, which is so not fun. Cats, on the other hand, do not need to be walked. They are happy to stalk mice in the backyard or look out the window if they are indoor cats. They bury their waste, so no need to pick up. I agree that cats appear to be more solitary than dogs, but in my experience both cats and dogs get lonely and miss their people. I think the most important aspect is your willingness to exercise your pet. If you don't want to walk with your dog, then you should get a cat.

Personally, even though I adore both dogs and cats, canines will always get my final vote. They are certainly easier to train than a cat, and they are also friendlier in most circumstances. The independence of cats makes them appear to be standoffish a great deal of the time, but that personality trait becomes positive when they are alone for long periods of time. Getting a dog also has health benefits for their humans since they will need to be walked several times per day. Finally, while cats are regal looking and very cute, they always seem to have an ingrained sneakiness about them that makes you wish you could read their minds. Dogs also give off physical cues, however, they are much easier to read.

Both of these animals are good as pet. Cats and dogs are both adorable, they are so playful to their owner so that you will gonna enjoy playing or bonding with your pet. Disregard your circumstances about these two because they are both worth to care for. But me, I only have a dog which is a Siberian husky. Siberian husky a playful and workaholic dog in case you do not know. They always want to run all around your neighborhood or play with you. I find them cute because they always want your attention and I treated her as part of our family. I really love my dog. Maybe you should decide based on your taste. I can't say which is more easier to pet because I personally do not own a cat since then. So better decide carefully, good luck!

Personally, I'm a dog lover.  In fact, I have five small dogs.  This wasn't planned but here I am.  I've always enjoyed the personality of both creatures.  Dogs are easier trained but cats are less maintenance. 

In my opinion, having a pet in your home is always a good decision.  I suppose it depends on the time home or away.  If you have much spare time to give to a dog then definitely a dog.  However, if you are a person with a busy career -  i would lean toward a cat.

Cats, for me, are the best pets in the world. That's because I always have this feeling that they can understand me. Me and my pet cat always have the same face expression, same attitude about most things. They're always quiet, and so am I. Cats know where to relieve themselves, and I'm a perfectionist and control-freak, so I guess thay counts. It's like I'm really destined to be a cat and there must have been a mistake why I became a human! 

• 2 weeks later...

I love dogs, but I've always been more of a cat person.  I'm currently owned by two cats.  

A couple of things come to mind about your debate with your husband. 

First, dogs tend to be seen as more social than cats because they are more eager to please their humans than cats are.  However, many cats are quite social, friendly, loving, and loyal.  Each pet's personality is unique.  Whether you decide on a dog or cat, be sure to spend quality time with him before adopting to get a sense of the pet's personality.  

Second, yes, cats can be left alone longer than dogs can because cats don't need to go outside to use the bathroom, but certain cats will get downright depressed if they are left alone for many hours at a time.  Siamese cats, for instance, get depressed if they don't have enough interaction with their humans.  If you decide to get a cat, consider adopting two so they can keep each other company while you're at work.  Many shelters have bonded pairs up for adoption.  These kitties often have trouble finding homes because many people only want to add one kitty to their home at a time.  By adopting two cats, you'd be saving two lives. :) 

Good luck with your decision!

In the past I've had a cat and it was nice, but I must say that I'm more like a dog person. 

Currently I have a 3 year old beagle dog and it's really nice. I tought her the general rules, what she can do in our house and what it's not allowed. This was mission impossible for my cat that I've had in the past. To be honest I must say that it was also problematic for my dog in first year - nothing was safe inside my house. After 1 year everything is fine now :). 

So, if you have enough patience, then I would recommend cat, otherwise dog is a better choice. 

Why not get one of both? Growing up I always had a cat and dog at the same time. The best thing to do is to get them together when they are still a puppy and kitten so they grow up to be used to each other. But if I had to choose between the two, I would get a cat. Good luck with whatever you decide.