For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

Friends

Glittergirl

I have friends like many people do. Life gets busy and it is hard to spend time with friends. Schedules, work, and daily demands get in the way. Sometimes simple ideas can keep a friendship active. A text, email, or phone call. Meeting for a cup of coffee, even if it is on your lunch break. Why not take care of two things at once?

• 6 months later...

Everyone is so busy these days! It's easy to relate to your feeling as though spending time with friends is next to impossible. I totally agree with your recommendation of multitasking. I've found that coffee dates with friends are a great way to catch up while also getting some much needed caffeine during a lunch break or a day off. As a student, I can also say that library time is a good way to catch up with friends while also being able to get things accomplished. I think if you're open with your friends about how busy you are, they're likely to understand. Texts and phone calls can go a long way in making sure your friends understand they mean a lot to you despite having a busy schedule. 

I've always believed that friendships require effort from both people.  Several times in my life, one of my friends would complain that we do not talk as often as they would prefer.  I get frustrated by their comment and I quickly remind my friend that communication is a two-way street.  I point out that I seem to initiate every conversation and urge them to reach out to me if they want to talk.  Usually, we can come to a mutual understanding.

• 3 weeks later...

When I was younger I really did consider myself as a person with a lot of friends.  I have maintained friendships with people from high school, college, some of my sorority sisters, graduate school friends and even some Janet Jackson fan friends that I have known for more than 25 years.  However, the older that I have gotten, the less emphasis I place on maintaining as many of those friendships.  Of course, I am always responsive to most people who may reach out to me,  but I steer clear of chasing after old friends who don't seem to have the same vested interest in maintaining the connection.   In the past few years, I have intentionally dropped some old friendships that I just don't believe add any value or substance to my life.  In the past, I would just avoid annoying friends for a while, then eventually get over the situation and remain friends with that person.  However,  the older I get, the more I am inclined to completely rid myself of toxic friendships even to the degree of appearing as a mean person.

In my experience, the acceptance that friends have for one another doesn't depend on whether each is going through good times or bad times. The acceptance part is really important because it means you are honest but you care about how the other feels.