For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

Does Anyone Snail Mail Anymore?

JewelsCat22

Does anyone here send snail mail anymore?  What I mean by snail mail is sending cards, letters, or packages through the postal service rather than sending email.  

I have a few pen pals I've been writing with for years, and I really enjoy getting their letters in the mail.  Seeing a letter arrive in my mailbox brightens my whole day, and I know i brighten my pen pals' days when they get a letter from me, too.  

Edited by JewelsCat22
  • Like 1

That sounds like fun, JewelsCat22.   How did you find a pen pal?  I had a regular writing buddy in elementary school from California.  We exchanged letters for three years before losing touch.  

I send thank-you notes, sympathy cards, and invitations to formal events the old-fashioned way.  I definitely side-eye those who fail to do so and never forget their rudeness.  My mother was big on proper etiquette and it stuck with me.  I've noticed that most young people today don't make the effort.  I have yet to receive a card, phone call, or email message expressing thanks for the latest round of graduation gifts. 

That's a shame Sable! Even if you say thanks via email a least have the courtesy to do so! I don't use snail mail much myself, but my mother sends my kids a card for every holiday, their birthdays, and occasionally just because. They absolutely love it!

That must be disappointing, Sable, though I wouldn't hold it against anyone for not using the conventional methods because the world changes. For example, I've received many digital wedding invitations because my friends live in faraway islands. In return, we show our efforts and sincerity via other possible methods.

There is one friend I've talked to for more than ten years via email. It may not be as impressive as sending letters manually, but I'm still proud of it!

Gone are the days when we check the mailbox every morning expecting a letter from somebody. It would truly brighten the receiver's day knowing that someone spent the time to write to him or her.

My uncle works at the Post Office. They are still busy as ever because there are still many companies that use their service in sending packages or documents to people in different places.

It sounds like I was raised similarly to you, Sable.  My mom taught me to always send thank you notes in the mail whenever someone gave me a gift.  I still do that to this day.  I also often send birthday cards, Christmas cards, and cards for other holidays in the mail.

I found most of my pen pals through Facebook.  There are a lot of pen pal groups there.  Sadly, many will write one or two letters and then drop off, but I have successfully found a few pen pals that I've written for years now!  

• 1 month later...

I still send my little brother cash in the mail (It gets hid well). He doesn't do the e-mail and internet thing nearly as much anymore, so sending him "e-money" isn't really an option. Anything else family related, I just pick up the phone because I'm the only one, really, who does the internet as much as I do. 

Sometimes the old fashioned ways of doing things are quicker and more effective. 

• 3 months later...

I tend to rely on electronic platforms to communicate and transfer money, mostly because they are really convenient. They are also much quicker and can elicit an almost immediate response. I only use the postal service to receive packages.

Edited by Forty Five