For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

What is Your Favorite Quote?

Zeyn0

I can always find something to relate to whenever I read a book. Sometimes it feels like the author is talking on my behalf.

I think that's very weird and magical, that someone out there, millions of miles away, is experiencing the same things as I am, or holds the same ideas and opinions about matters as I do.

One of my favorite quotes is:

My soul is impatient with itself, as with a bothersome child; its restlessness keeps growing and is forever the same. Everything interests me, but nothing holds me. I attend to everything, dreaming all the while. […]. I'm two, and both keep their distance — Siamese twins that aren't attached.
― Fernando PessoaThe Book of Disquiet

What is your favorite quote?

I don't know who this quote is attributed to; I found it online. "What I fear, I create." I live with generalized anxiety disorder, so this quote really resonates with me. It allows me to relax and consider that maybe what I'm worried about is all in my head. 

What isn't better than the quote of the smartest man to have ever step foot on this planet? Albert Einstein: "If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its entire life believing it's stupid".

This really is true, because everyone is good at something. And there's no point in judging someone for their disability because they always have an ability that you never would've believed. This also gives me a lot of association to my life. People seem to judge me a lot from my disabilities, but if they spent more time they would actually learn that I have a lot of abilities, that they would only dream to have.

• 2 months later...

Fashion designer Karl Lagerfeld once said, "Sweatpants are a sign of defeat. You lost control of your life, so you bought some sweatpants."

At first, Lagerfeld sounds like a jerk. It seems like he's looking down on people who could never buy the high-end clothes he can afford. On the other hand, he's talking about the attitude of not trying to "look the part" when it comes to reaching for success. I thought it was a weirdly funny quote, too; I laughed out loud when I first read it because I imagined him saying this with a cartoony French accent.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

"There is no such thing as a moral or immoral book. Books are well written, or badly written. That is all." -Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray

Freedom of speech has been a war amongst mankind since language was invented. Almost every day now, someone is under fire for saying something controversial, but of course, this has always been the case. Unfortunately, all people seem to want is for only their opinions to be heard, and not just in politics or debate; even art is subject to be shut down for going against the masses. 

Most people already know about how Oscar Wilde, a man I admire deeply, lost all the hope in his life (and ultimately, his life as well) after the backlash caused by the dark themes featured in his sole novel, The Picture of Dorian Gray. To have such talent wiped out simply because society wasn't prepared for it is genuinely despair-inducing for me. After all, books are art, art in its truest form! To censor a genuine expression of the soul just because you don't like it is fundamentally wrong! There have been many shows, singers, bands, even writers that made works I disagreed with or even downright despised, but no matter how much I hate them and everything they stand for, I don't want them to lose their voice. After you lose that, there's nothing left.

Anyway. This quote was included in the preface Wilde added to his book after watering down its content. I believe in it from the bottom of my heart- I feel like, even if I hate an artist as a person, that doesn't invalidate the merit of their work. After all, I have quite a few friends that I love deeply but that doesn't mean I think they're worthy artists. Books are honestly like children. It's not fair to judge a kid for their parents' mistakes, so why judge a book for its novelist? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/9/2018 at 8:39 PM, livi031197 said:

I don't know who this quote is attributed to; I found it online. "What I fear, I create." I live with generalized anxiety disorder, so this quote really resonates with me. It allows me to relax and consider that maybe what I'm worried about is all in my head. 

@livi031197 The quote you shared is valuable to me as well. It's natural  to create our own problems by overthinking. When I find myself going through a hard time, I remind myself of this quote by actor Tom Hiddleston: 

"You never know what's around the corner. It could be everything. Or it could be nothing. You keep putting one foot in front of the other, and then one day you look back and you've climbed a mountain." 

This quote reminds me to keep going. Things may not be working out for me in this moment. Maybe, right now, life feels impossible. Those things don't mean I'm not making progress. They mean I'm trudging through a rough patch. Things will get better. One day I will reach my goals.