For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

Honoring Pets

JewelsCat22

I recently lost my Siamese cat to a horrible adverse reaction to a medication. I plan to report the reaction to the manufacturer and the FDA, as she is not the only cat I know who has reacted so badly to this particular medication.

I picked up her ashes on Tuesday. It's hard to believe she is gone. 

I want to do something to honor my fur friend. She was such a good companion for 14 years. She was loving, loyal, intelligent, bossy, and sweet. 

How do you all honor a beloved fur companion after they've passed away? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

On 9/27/2018 at 5:17 AM, JewelsCat22 said:

How do you all honor a beloved fur companion after they've passed away? 

I'm sorry you lost your beloved cat!  It sounds like she was truly special!  How I honor those that go to the Rainbow Bridge depends on their personality and why they are no longer with me.  For instance, I had a male tabby cat who already had FIV when he showed up on my doorstep.   The vet did what he could for years and I know that Mister Whiskers - "I'm not fat, it's the tabby stripes that make my sides look big," - had a blast and felt loved each day that he was mine.  Still, it was tough,  so darn tough to put him to sleep. I celebrate his gotcha day every year by  donating supplies and sponsoring vet care for other cats with FIV in my state.  It's my way of remembering Mister Whiskers and honoring his memory.  Doing something positive for other cats with the same disease helped ease the sadness.

• Like 1

Anyone that loves pets easily gets attached to them and those that don't really fancy pets, may not understand this feeling. A cat that we'd had for 14 years simply disappeared without trace. One of our dogs also died after staying with us for sometime. To honor these two, we mounted two portraits at the entrance to our house. Somehow, their memories still live with us.

Edited by lelan254

On 9/30/2018 at 1:12 PM, SableC. said:

I'm sorry you lost your beloved cat!  It sounds like she was truly special!  How I honor those that go to the Rainbow Bridge depends on their personality and why they are no longer with me.  For instance, I had a male tabby cat who already had FIV when he showed up on my doorstep.   The vet did what he could for years and I know that Mister Whiskers - "I'm not fat, it's the tabby stripes that make my sides look big," - had a blast and felt loved each day that he was mine.  Still, it was tough,  so darn tough to put him to sleep. I celebrate his gotcha day every year by  donating supplies and sponsoring vet care for other cats with FIV in my state.  It's my way of remembering Mister Whiskers and honoring his memory.  Doing something positive for other cats with the same disease helped ease the sadness.

@SableC., thank you for the condolences. What you do on your kitty's Gotcha Day is beautiful and wonderful! I bet it makes him feel very loved at the Rainbow Bridge. Thank you for taking care of and loving him. I've volunteered in shelters and know that special needs kitties, like FIV+ kitties, have a harder time finding loving forever homes. He was quite lucky to have found your doorstep! 

• Like 1

On 10/5/2018 at 11:56 PM, lelan254 said:

Anyone that loves pets easily gets attached to them and those that don't really fancy pets, may not understand this feeling. A cat that we'd had for 14 years simply disappeared without trace. One of our dogs also died after staying with us for sometime. To honor these two, we mounted two portraits at the entrance to our house. Somehow, their memories still live with us.

I'm so sorry to hear about your cat and your dog! I can't even imagine the heartbreak of a kitty just disappearing. How awful. :( 

I love that you have portraits of your babies. Their memories will definitely live on in your heart. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

There are two songs that I personally associate with my old hamsters. I always cry a bit even though the songs aren't exactly sad, but I comfort myself believing that they are now happy wherever they are. It's such a blessing to have them in my most lonely days.

• 3 weeks later...

That is so sweet, @Migi. :) 

There's a music video on YouTube that a man created about his orange cat. It's called, "Orange Cats Make the Very Best Friends." The video has all sorts of photos of his precious orange kitty. Sadly Sid (the kitty) is gone now, but it's such a sweet tribute to him. The song is such a great one, but it makes me cry every time because it makes me think of my sweet Carmine (profile photo) and how he's getting old himself. I fear the day I lose him because I believe he is my soul cat. He turns 14 this coming February, and we've been together since he was 14 weeks old! :)

• Like 1