Sign in to follow this  
koki12346

Can you really be addicted to sugar?

koki12346

Can sugar cause an addiction? Some people use sugary foods in ways that aren't healthy, even though it may not be an actual addiction. Some signs: You crave sugar, lose control, and eat more than you planned. 

However sugar is very bad is you take to much of it. It it okay of you take only natural sugar - like fruits. And it's okay of you eat a small dose of it. But if you exaggerate in eating the sugar you may feel some consequences. A lot of sugar isn't good at all, it really can cause some kind of an addiction.

If you ask me, people should only eat natural sugar.

Thoughtful-Sage

I quit sugar for 10 days once.  I was tired after about a day and a half for about a day.  I craved it but it wasn't the end of the world.

I either threw the sugar snacks out or hid them away.  When I went back to have a snickers it tasted weird.  Like super rich or sweet and it was too much.

I ate about half of it and moved on with my night.  I have sugary stuff about every couple of days now and occasionally more and then I let it go for several days.  

The withdrawal is something I can stand now.  I generally stay away though nowadays.   

KiraB

As someone who does not have any expertise in this subject matter, I can only share my own experience with sugar. About a year ago, I went on a diet that prevented me from consuming unnatural sugars. I ended my diet sooner that I had planned because I was showing signs of "withdrawal." I experienced headaches. I was tired and moody. Foods I normally enjoyed were unsatisfactory due to their lack of sugar content. When I was no longer eating sugar, that was all I could think about. My body was functioning abnormally. That dieting experience made me very aware of the high levels of sugar many Americans–including myself–consume. I've never researched this, but it's not unreasonable to believe people can be addicted to sugar. 

Morgan Keys

I feel pretty certain that sugar is addictive and that extends to more than just satisfying that sweet tooth.  Although I have not done any real research on the topic, I believe that sugar releases some kind of "feel good" chemical in the brain that is highly desirable.  Normally, I am not a big sweet eater and can go for long stretches of time without any soda, candy, cookies, etc.  However, I recently found some ginger ale at Whole Foods that I really liked and before I knew it, I had a habit of buying a six pack of ginger ale every time I visited Whole Foods. Before I knew it, I had gained close to 15 pounds by simply adding soda to my regular diet without any other changes.  To sum, I gathered that drinking ginger ale over a few months gave me a nice, feel good type of satisfaction that I really did not get from anything else in my normal diet.  Furthermore, I can see a person becoming physically addicted to that feel good place that sugar seems to give you.