For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

Is Higher Education Useful?

Amores

I'm currently studying Classical Civilisations and I'm starting to look at where my career could go. The issue I'm having is that most jobs require experience, and do not require a degree. I'm starting to think that I probably would have been better getting an apprenticeship straight out of college. I'm not sure that my degree is going to be too useful in terms of my future. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this topic? 

• 2 weeks later...

I am a retired Municipal worker.   I think knowledge is useful but higher education is a waste of time and money. Its another we are forced to pay to government.( i.e. loans) . Bring back the day of on the job training.  Yes I do believe there are things we should look to a university for because somethings like anatomy and law those things take time and practice to learn.  But needing a college degree for things like social work is ridiculous in my opinion. Experience compassion and empathy and a willingness to learn can out shine a degree anyday

I agree with all of your opinions. You each have a point. Higher education is not indeed the basis for success. I always believe that it lies in a person's character and attitude. As for education, it gives us an edge in our world today. If you think that furthering your education will help you, then, so be it. Pursue a higher education. It really is up to you. People with higher education tends to have more chances than those who have none. 

• 2 weeks later...

I absolutely understand your concern.  While higher education presents numerous opportunities to learn, a degree is not as useful as once believed.  Most students graduating from university have difficulty finding gainful employment.  The problem is that most of the jobs offering great salaries are extremely saturated.  It seems that on - the - job training through internships and apprenticeships hold more value to employers in the private sector.

• 1 month later...

Whether or not gaining a higher level of education is worth it depends on what careers you are considering. Some career paths rightfully require education: medical fields, law, teaching, etc. But not all jobs require a college education. If you don't need more schooling for the job you want, saving yourself the money can be a smart choice. You can always further your education at a later time if you deem it necessary. 

Education is really a personal decision. I recommend you decide based on what you believe will allow you to build the future you want for yourself.