For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

Do people change over time?

No Problem

Personality traits of most people seem pretty stable over time, but I think it’s true that people do gradually change.  It’s hard to say if people usually change for the better or not.  What’s your theory about this?

• 4 weeks later...

People can change, in my opinion, but don't expect an 180° twist from bad to good, but just gradually, as you said. Maybe some people can't change, or it's just that they don't want to, but one thing I know for sure: it's not easy at all.

• 1 month later...

I would definitely say people can change over time. Myself personally, I used to be very introverted and not good at talking and meeting new people. With the help of college making me grow as a person and a job in door-to-door sales I've become someone who can speak with new people and meet people out and about. I would even consider myself more of an extrovert now. I used to find alone time playing video games was fun and now going out to parties and meeting new people is more fun.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe that most people do. For better or worse, I'm sure everyone could name at least one person in their life who has changed at least a little bit. There are personality changes, morality changes, physical changes, emotional changes, etc. Odds are, the person we are today is not the person we were five years ago.

Change seems to be a constant in this world we live in, it's basically the measure of time passing, and we all know that time travels in a line moving forward meaning time is as dynamic as change. Having said that, I do believe that people, like the movement of time, change for better or worse depending on the variables affecting their disposition and decision making at the point of transition. The myriad of variables could include their financial or social status as well as how the individual see him or her self as a happy individual.

One thing is for sure though, we are constantly evolving. We carry a part of our "former self" as we live our lives, but only a part of it, thus, we always emerge as new version of ourselves along the way.

• 1 month later...

Yes, I believe that people can change. It all depends on whether or not the person wants to change. When looking at a vase that was shattered and put back together with no glue, it looks whole. However, if you fill it with water it will leak. It is all about perception. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

I listened to a lecture once that suggested we learn to like our weaknesses. We become so comfortable using our weaknesses to deflect problems and tensions that we struggle with change because we don't want to let them go. I think that's probably true. It is in my life. 

On the other hand, I hope we can change. I don't want to still be little twenty-two-year-old WriterCat, and, I hope, I'm a better person because of that growth. 

I do believe people can change, if they make the effort, and if it's toward the good.  However, most of us don't likely know that even simple changes can be made unless someone has the courage to tell us.  For example, I am an adjunct college instructor and once had a student remark, "Do you know how often you say, 'By and Large'?"  Well, no, I didn't know how often I said 'By and Large,' but I sure did hear myself say it after it was brought to my attention.  Today, I don't believe I say it at all.  Even though I don't believe this question is looking for simple changes, I do believe that awareness is the key to making any changes at all, simple or difficult.  How will we weigh whether we need to make a change, or should make a change, unless someone tells us?  

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure people hardly ever change even though I've personally witnessed people make complete transformations, most people I've met don't. Imagine if that wasn't the case though, the world would be too unstable. 

• 1 year later...

People do change a lot with the passage of time. It's just how humans work and there is nothing we can do about it.  With time, we get more experience and we will be able to deduce things effectively.

Of course, there are a few exceptions and usually it's all about faith. If you believe in something strongly, then no matter what you experience, you just can't change. This is all just how I see things and I am sure there are others who wouldn't accept this.

• 3 weeks later...

People do change over time, but that period differs from person to person. Also, the changes that happen aren't always noticeable by you unless you take the time to evaluate your being. For example, when I joined the military, I was a skinny, soft-spoken young man who didn't exude a lot of confidence. After I returned from my training, I noticed how great my body looked, but what I didn't observe until people around me mentioned it is how much presence I had and how strong my voice was.