For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

Wants versus needs

No Problem

Sometimes our needs and wants differ and create conflict for us.  Do your needs and wants tend to differ or do they tend to be the same?  For me they often differ, but occasionally they are one and the same.  It sure makes my life easier when that happens!

• 5 months later...

It's all about balance. To do the things that you need so that you can live the life you want. 

Of course, that is easy to say but not so easy to achieve. I believe in working hard but in the progress always making time for yourself and for what you want. 

• 1 month later...

Goal setting is very helpful. Once you have a list of things you want you can divide each achievement in tasks, after that you can prioritize what is urgent, what is important or both. This way is easier to keep a balance between wants and needs because you have a clear idea about what you want, therefore providing what you need should become a stepping stone. Mind mapping can help, you can even use apps for this.

Every time I catch my mind wandering into desire, I ask myself if I really need what I'm longing for.  It is tricky to decide if the thought is related to a mere craving or a real need. I find that there isn't a general rule to apply: I just investigate the intention behind my need and determine if it is genuinely necessary. 

As a person of simple pleasures, what I want and what I need often coincide. During moments when my wants and needs come into conflict, I take care of what I need and give myself what I want later. I've reached the point in my life where practicality is always my main priority and that means in a question of needs vs. wants, it's always the needs that come first. It's not easy, but it's made my life easier.

• 4 weeks later...

I am a great believer that you should do what the soul tells you to do. If you feel you want something, and your soul resonates with that, then by all means indulge yourself. But everything in moderation. But I do like to remind myself that simplicity is always better, and to try to keep that balance between want and need. We are delicate creatures, too much of anything can spoil a good life, so keep it simple and try to keep that balance as healthy as possible.