For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

Language learning as an adult

TravelBug

Children pick up languages much easier than adults. I grew up trilingual but I've always loved languages even as an adult! I have been able to learn to speak two languages (German and Portuguese) fluently as an adult, but you have to invest a lot of time and energy! Have you learned or are you learning a new language as an adult and if so, how do you go about it? If you haven't, what language would you like to learn to speak?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I used to think that once I finished my degree, I would be able to use my free time to learn at the official centers and get certified. What a sweet dream it was! Even worse, there's no one to practice with. My English should be good enough to help me find people to talk to in those languages, but I have no time and motivation. At the very least, I still watch series or read content in those languages (mainly Japanese and Korean) to practice my passive skill.

In high school and college, I studied Spanish. I made it all the way through the grammar part before I graduate. I thought Spanish might be useful in my career as a social worker. Since then, I've forgotten a ton of the language. When you don't use it regularly, it definitely goes away. I would love to take a Spanish course at my local University. They offer evening courses. I kind of miss being able to use my Spanish-speaking skills. 

• 2 weeks later...

I studied French for years in school, and am exposed to it daily as I live in a bilingual country. Despite that, it never really "stuck" for me. I can understand basic words and phrases, but that's about it. I really wish I was more fluent. I would love to be able to speak French one day. Perhaps the DuoLingo app can help me?

• 5 months later...

I've taken classes in basic French, Japanese, and Korean, but I'm far from even semi-fluent in any of them. I downloaded Duolingo a couple of months ago to remember and review. It's a fun app!