For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

Favorite Holiday

SilverMonkey27

I think it's safe to say that most of us look forward to holidays as a break from the norm of everyday life and experience a special occasion with loved ones, or just cut loose and have some fun! Which holiday is your favorite? Personally, I love Thanksgiving. I'm a big eater, so enjoying a relaxing day, seeing my family and friends, and just getting to pig out without a care is my idea of a perfect day! 

• 4 weeks later...

My favorite definitely has to be Christmas. Nothing is better than waking up early on a Christmas morning and diving in to your stocking-stuffers. The overall feel of the holiday is great too, I love Christmas music playing and Christmas movies playing while sitting near the fully lit and decorated tree. To me it's a holiday that you can feel when you're around it. Whereas with a holiday like Easter it sort of comes and goes without much buildup. Christmas feels like a season and I think that is what I like most about it.

I do believe that our favorite holidays are shaped from our experiences and our fondest memories that resonate with us. My favorite holiday is Christmas because I particularly enjoy decorating the house while listening to classic Christmas tunes, driving through the neighborhood to glimpse at lights and baking everyone's favorite goodies. Every year I look forward to getting together with family on Christmas Eve to reminiscent of years gone by, make plans for the New Year and to enjoy a cup of eggnog with a bit of cheer.

• 1 month later...

I am one of "those people" who have the Christmas music playing way too soon for most. I enjoy everything about Christmas.  Spending time with family, holiday lights, the music, the tree, baking, shopping, decorating...all of it!

My childhood memories and traditions of Christmas are embedded in my memory.  Christmas was magical! My parents made sure of that and I am determined to do the same for my kids.

This time of the year I get a little sad, especially since we won't have another holiday until September. It just seems to be plain wrong that we do not have a holiday in the month of August (at least here in the US). However, my favorite holiday is Christmas. I like to spread it throughout starting in September until December, which I know some people think is way too long. But for me, I love the whole package of it. Everything from the scents to music, to movies, to food and just the general feeling of joy. 

• 3 weeks later...

All you people with your one-day holidays and I'm over here thinking, "My favorite holiday is Sukkot." Oh, yeah, it's nine days long. Jealous much? :D

Wait. That is not a traditional American holiday. In fact, most of you probably have never heard of it. 

It's a Jewish holiday that falls late September or October. (This year it falls towards the end of October.) Before the holiday even starts, we get to build basically little, temporary houses, called a sukkah (or sukkot if plural). It's basically 2x4s and plywood and meant to be temporary. Its roof is some kind of branches, leaves or bamboo covering. (If you can't get wet inside of it when it's raining, you're doing it wrong.) Then we decorate them like crazy with whatever suits our fancy. (Got to love the dollar store here.) I have grapes in mine, some Christmas ornaments (like the spirals and balls and such.), pictures, and some ribbon. 

Once the holiday comes, we live in them basically as much as we can for the next eight days. You can sleep in it. (I don't.) You should eat in it. If you  can, cook it in. I've brought my computer out and watched TV in it. The goal is to be happy in the sukkah.

What makes this even more fun is that we then go over to other people's sukkot as well to visit. It's a big time of hospitality, friendship and just fun.  Since it lasts for so long, by the time it's over, we're pretty much ready to be done. 

That's my favorite holiday. 

• 1 month later...

Every holiday has its perks, but Fourth of July is the superior holiday. Bonding with family and friends, cookouts, bonfires, and fireworks. All of the best parts of summer combined on one crisp, cool evening, making unforgettable memories with your closest friends. How could that not be the best holiday? 

How is Halloween not here?  C'mon, the holiday has dressing up and candy.  You can be whoever you want on Halloween.  There's a different kind of magic in the air.  It is ok to be a kid, again.  It's ok to get excited about that cat costume or dressing up like a superhero.  

You can go the Day of the Dead route, too.  Sugar skulls are amazing.  You can spend a quiet moment remembering loved ones and then invite them to join the party.