For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

Should you start smoking?

SummertimeBullet

Most people believe that smoking employees get more breaks than regular employees. In an eight hour shift, I smoke three times. I smoke before I get to work. I smoke on my fifteen minute break two hours in, I smoke on my lunch four  hours in, and I smoke on my second break 6 hours in. Then I smoke on my way home. I do not get any more breaks then a regular worker. I could also smoke less in a day, but I choose to use my breaks this way. Some days I have to use the bathroom on my break and miss my smoke, but I don't extend my break. I believe it is an unfair assumption that we get more smoking breaks. Please speak out if you see someone abusing "smoke breaks" and let me know what you think.

Aaarrrgh!  Absolutely never, ever NOT should someone start smoking to get more breaks. This was actually socially engineered by war time. A soldier was given cigarettes as a ration thus implementing the practice of a smoke break. Besides if you knew that the tobacco industry makes cigarettes to be more addictive than heroin by STIMULATING the relaxation response, you wouldn't do it! Obviously a hot topic for me.  What about a water break instead?

• 2 weeks later...

I think it depends on the individual person, their attitude and work ethic; the work environment, if you have designated breaks, create your own breaks and have access to smoking areas; and your colleagues, what their break habits are and what is deemed a fair and accepted break system that works for everyone.

I used to work as a chef and the employees who smoked definitely had more breaks. However, the ones who didn't smoke could have had just as many breaks if they had wanted. They chose not to.

• 2 weeks later...

I work the usual 9 - 5 o'clock job and don't have additional breaks even though am a heavy smoker. More like you, I smoke before getting to work. I then smoke during my lunch break and smoke again immediately after work. It's become like a necessary routine for me. 

Coming back to your question, I think it's ridiculous for anyone to think that smoking employees get more breaks than regular employees. There's no where have I heard of such practices. Smoking doesn't and has never added any input to a work place. It's a habitual practice of some employees that benefits their personal satisfaction. So there isn't any reason why a work place would even consider granting additional breaks to smoking employees. I feel the said topic is just a behavior often exhibited by non-smokers as a way of discriminating against smokers. 

• 2 months later...

I started smoking because I had this idea that only strong or attractive women do it (silly, i know). It didn't affect just my health but also my performance at my job. Like any other addiction, it's hard to tell someone to not do something if he/she doesn't hear the reasons needed.

Please, don't start! Smocking is highly addictive. I have been smocking for many years and I wouldn't recommend getting into this unhealthy pattern. What for? You will end up wasting your money, your health and your precious time.