For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

Signs of Aging

JC

• 2 weeks later...

When I was 20, I thought (from the safety of my youthful ivory tower) that people should just grow old gracefully. After a couple of decades, I began to notice a few things in the mirror that I'd never seen before, and wondered, "Am I getting old?"  Now, as time marches relentlessly on, I find myself watching commercials for wrinkle-removing products with a bit more interest. Yet, I have come to appreciate that those lines represent the experience that comes with age and, although I do nourish my skin a little differently now, I think that my 20-year-old self wasn't completely off-base. There's something to be said about facing the inevitable with a certain amount of grudging grace.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, DeborahTS said:

When I was 20, I thought (from the safety of my youthful ivory tower) that people should just grow old gracefully. After a couple of decades, I began to notice a few things in the mirror that I'd never seen before, and wondered, "Am I getting old?"  Now, as time marches relentlessly on, I find myself watching commercials for wrinkle-removing products with a bit more interest. Yet, I have come to appreciate that those lines represent the experience that comes with age and, although I do nourish my skin a little differently now, I think that my 20-year-old self wasn't completely off-base. There's something to be said about facing the inevitable with a certain amount of grudging grace.

I couldn't agree more with you! I myself have always taken care of my skin but with the harsh radicals of the Sun and the environment, not to mention stress and natural aging. In my honest opinion, it seems the natural route is the best route because that is what our bodies are meant to do, they are supposed to age and some of us age more gracefully than others and some of us choose to not let aging get us down.  I believe we have one life to live, so however we choose to live it is up to us, but I think our appearance is very important and if everyone starts at an early age to care for their skin more then they have a better chance at aging gracefully.  I myself grew up hanging out in direct sunlight and sunbathing all the time and I never listened to my mother about taking care of my skin so now I find myself trying to conceal flaws a bit more with each year and I am okay with that. 

Like the Moving Finger of Omar Khayyam, Time, "having writ, Moves on..." and there's indeed no luring it back nor erasing half a line or a wrinkle. Aging is a natural process and the marks it leaves on our body should be carried like a prize from a hard-won fight.

I grew up in a fishing village in a sun-drenched country in Southeast Asia where older people are looked-up to in awe for all their burnt skin, wiry salt-dried hair and abrasive hand callouses earned after years of pulling heavy nets and scouring the open seas. Then I moved to the city for college and work where it is de regueur to look our best and project a youthful and pleasant bearing.  This exposure to opposing world-views about aging makes me sympathetic to both the natural and the surgical schools but I advocate the former and shun the latter when it is done for no redeeming reason (say corrective and restorative procedures after and accident) other than sheer vanity.  The skin care product I use on regular basis is the sunscreen.

• 2 weeks later...

Aging should be embraced! It is a mark of great experience, wisdom, and even greater power in the world. I go the natural route as much as possible, and only use a few organic skin products on my face. It makes me feel better and more confident. Also am still colouring my hair even though it is very white underneath. Whatever makes you feel confident, I say do it. If plastic surgery is your thing, and it makes you feel good about yourself, I say go for it!