For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

Career Guidance For Children

Gold19

Children must be given career guidance as soon as they are old enough to go to school. This will give them more time to mould their thoughts and decide their career paths. It is also important for parents to advise their children on career paths that suit their personalities. For example, if a child is an introvert, then fields like public relations will not be good for them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Even though my kids are only 8 and 12 I am already asking them what they want to be and how they are going to do it. My 12 year old especially is aware that the decisions she makes right now will affect her and her future.

She is an artist and understands that it is a very difficult field and is already thinking about art schools. She has a plan to get a job at 16 and start saving for schooling. She has an idea of what type of art she can do to make a livable income for herself and has even gotten to talk to people in her desired field to find out what it takes to get where she wants to be.

It is absolutely essential to get our kids ready for the "real world" so they can be productive contributors to society. 

• 5 months later...
On 11/17/2019 at 8:53 AM, Gold19 said:

Children must be given career guidance as soon as they are old enough to go to school. This will give them more time to mould their thoughts and decide their career paths. It is also important for parents to advise their children on career paths that suit their personalities. For example, if a child is an introvert, then fields like public relations will not be good for them.

I agree. My approach was to expose my son to a large variety of things like sports, music, art, language, science, math, etc. He was a natural at science and math at very young age but was interested in a lot of things. He took lessons in music, saxophone, and keyboard. In high school he signed up for a special program for business. At home he liked to do science experiments that needed parental supervision. 😊 He never liked sports. By the time he started college he had decided on a career in physics and applied mathematics. He will graduate with his PhD in Physics at the end of this summer.

I have a daughter who will have her 3rd birthday in July 2020. I was interested to read the above posts, as I am keen to integrate her with other children, but unfortunately because of the lock-down where we live she is unable to visit the soft-play areas. As regards to her career, I believe that it is important to encourage her to develop her own interests, without imposing too strongly my own wishes on her. For instance, I am a keen tennis player, but if she doesn't want to take up the sport, I must respect that.