For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

Language Learning

turtleman

It seems like every year learning a foreign language is one of my resolutions. But every year I get off to a good start and then fizzle out.

There's tons of conflicting information on the web on the best way to learn a new language. Has anyone here successfully learned a foreign language using resources found on the web? 

I used to travel a lot and it seemed like I would pick up phrases quickly but a few weeks after I returned home I had forgotten them. I don't want to give up but I'm tired of spinning my wheels.

• 3 weeks later...

Everyone learns differently, so every way is the "best way" to learn the language. It just depends on what your learning style is. Some people learn better with books, some people learn better with apps, some people learn better traveling to the country where the language is spoken, some people learn better with a native speaker or teacher in class, while others learn better on their own. The list can go on! Play around with different materials until you find something that fits your learning style.

The thing is, once you learn something, you have to maintain it. The things you learn starts in your short-term memory first, then goes into long-term memory as you use it and review things. Let's say you're learning for vocabulary and you are learning the words for objects in your living room. Start referring to those objects in the language you're learning. You don't have to say them out loud, but at least think the word in that language, instead of, for example, "sofa" in English or your native language. As you learn grammar, then you can say (or think) "this is a sofa" in said language. Then "this is a red sofa", "this red sofa is in the living room", "this red sofa is on the right side of the living room," etc. 

I've personally taken language classes and self-studied languages. I believe I learn better on my own. For example, I am learning Italian and Korean. I study Italian everyday using apps and websites and then I talk to my girlfriend only in Italian. For Korean, I use those same apps and websites, and then I naturally use the language everyday because of the music I listen to and looking up music I like in Korean.

You can definitely do this! If you ever need to find people to talk to to maintain a language, you can find people everywhere online! Social media, penpal websites, etc. 

Learning another language aside from your native language is supposed to be easy. When someone hears about language learning, the presumption of us that this being a hard thing to learn will surface. If one person wishes to learn another language, he should keep a mindset positive while learning. That's a rule that one can follow easily. This rule is not just supposed to dedicate to learning language, but on other things as well just like learning a skill.

• 2 weeks later...

As stated above, the best way to learn depends on the person. I am a visual learner. Therefore, simply reading and memorizing wouldn't work for me. I find actually hearing the language spoken in conversation helps me better understand it. I took one year of French in college and there are still certain rules of their language I remember when hearing it spoken in movies or things of that nature. 

One of my greatest frustrations in life is learning different languages apart of our own. It diversifies your capability to connect to people and destroys barriers of different cultures. Learning a new language doesn't only give you an access to communicate with others but also able one to know more about the people and its country. It helps us understand the feeling of each other.

• 3 weeks later...

For me, immersion was the key to learning a new language. I had a roommate who taught me sign language, as it was easier than writing everything down. This was 30 years ago. I forgot a lot, as I don’t practice anymore. I do not know anyone practicing deaf culture where I live. I only use it now as a fun thing to teach students during down times. I do enjoy seeing how much I know when watching special news reports on TV, though. Lately, I have been thinking of learning Spanish. Wish me luck!

Learning a new language is challenging for anyone. I speak 2.5 languages and am having a hard time with completing the 3rd. (Spanish). Polish is my native language and English is my 2nd.  They say that if you know more than one language ,the rest should be easy; but I do not agree. I too would pick up words here and there in Spanish. Now learning to make complete sentences and conjugating verbs is difficult. I do like to use Duolingo to play and learn additional words. Also, my library offers Rosetta Stone free, but the curriculum is not interesting.

I always want to learn new things and a second (or third) language is no different. I've used Rosetta Stone and Duolingo and am amazed how after months words and phrases are almost like my native language. Of course, the verbs and sentence structure is much more difficult. Bottom line is if you really want to learn another language don't stop trying. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I think all countries should know the language, because knowing the language can speak to people of all countries, which is good, if the language is known then business can be done with that country.