For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

Losing a Job

JewelsCat22

A couple of weeks ago, I was laid off from my job. I was writing for a company's blog (along with five other writers), and the company decided that after 11 years it was time to shut the blog down. I had been with the company for nearly two years. We were only given three days' notice, which is legal because we were all independent contractors.

In any case, I'm busy trying to find new work and do the work I still have with other clients. I find it overwhelming at times because looking for new work is a full-time job in and of itself. 

Have any of you ever been laid off? How did you cope with the change? How did you stay motivated and keep a positive attitude when things got challenging? 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JewelsCat22 said:

I find it overwhelming at times because looking for new work is a full-time job in and of itself. 

It really is!  It's rotten that you were laid off, but you've got the right attitude to keep moving forward.  I wish I had some helpful tips to share, but when I'm down, I just let it all out.  I usually start feeling better after I've whined for a bit.  I hate this happened to you!  It's a tough time to be a writer right now, even for talented folks like you.  But you know what?  You got this girl!  You'll bounce back in no time.  I'll keep my eyes open and if I find any writing work that looks good, I'll message it to you.

A year before I tendered my resignation, five colleagues got laid off. There had been rumors of people getting fired, but when this eventually happened, everyone was caught off-guard. From that moment on, I didn't feel secure, and so I started job-hunting. It wasn't easy for my friends, but eventually, things worked out.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2020 at 4:47 PM, SableC. said:

It really is!  It's rotten that you were laid off, but you've got the right attitude to keep moving forward.  I wish I had some helpful tips to share, but when I'm down, I just let it all out.  I usually start feeling better after I've whined for a bit.  I hate this happened to you!  It's a tough time to be a writer right now, even for talented folks like you.  But you know what?  You got this girl!  You'll bounce back in no time.  I'll keep my eyes open and if I find any writing work that looks good, I'll message it to you.

Thank you for your kind and encouraging words, @SableC.! I landed a guest post on a blog about chronic illness, so that's a start. It's definitely hard when there are hundreds or thousands of writers competing for the same jobs. It's even harder when a lot of people will work for very little pay. So finding a good-paying job is challenging. 

• Like 1

I haven't been technically laid off, but my previous employer announced changes that meant certain staffers would get fewer clients. I was in that group and gave notice. That hurt. Like you, it was challenging looking for work that fits. Fast forward to 2020, and I'm now in training for my new job. There's something right for you out there, @JewelsCat22!

@Nickel, congratulations on your new job! That must be a relief. I am still pounding the pavement over here, looking and applying. I really hope something turns up soon. 

• Like 1