For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

New fascination with birds

knchatty

I can remember as a child going to my grandparents house and laughing (internally) when they tried to teach me about birds. Now when I think back to those days, I kick myself. I'm lucky enough that my mom listened to them and gained a lot of knowledge. I've been trying to learn more about the birds in our area. 

I love watching them and seeing how they interact with each other. I've put out many different types of feeders and different types of birdseed (worms, suet, seeds). I've even named a few of the "regulars". 

Anyone else share interest in my newfound hobby? 

• Like 2

A few of my favorite YouTube livestreams include ones that just show birds. One is the Royal Albatross Cam in New Zealand. The others are the Allen Birdcams in South Africa. Both are relaxing, especially the NZ one. Those albatross love to chill and enjoy the beautiful coastline. Lucky them!

• 2 weeks later...

Oh what I wouldn't give to chill on the coastline right now. Now after reading that, I envy the life of the albatross! 

I don't really watch videos on YouTube but I might start now. It would be a great way to learn more about birds. I would probably try to stick to my geographic region though.

• 4 weeks later...

My grandmother got me interested in birds when she became less mobile.  Birding is a hobby that we can still do together.  It's incredibly relaxing.  Do you have a favorite bird yet?  I'm partial to the variety of nuthatches.  They are endlessly entertaining. 

My grandparents tried to teach me about the birds and I just didn't listen. I really don't have a favorite one yet. We just had a visit from a couple of blue jays, they are beautiful but bossy! I do love watching all the different woodpecker birds we get.

• 8 months later...

We have a squirrel that has been cleaning out the bird feeders before the cardinals and chickadees can get to them.  I bought the squirrel some corn cobs hoping to entice him away from the bird feeders, but he only goes for the corn after he's eaten all the sunflower seeds.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/23/2021 at 8:58 PM, knchatty said:

I love watching them and seeing how they interact with each other. I've put out many different types of feeders and different types of birdseed (worms, suet, seeds). I've even named a few of the "regulars". 

It'd be nice to feed them, but the place where I'm staying doesn't allow that. Recently, I've read about ravens and learned about the many things they can eat. I was fascinated by how they could eat almost everything. You can even befriend one by leaving corns in your backyard. Depending on your location, what you're doing gives you a good chance of having a raven as a friend.