For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

Dealing With Unnecessary Thoughts

Pokcare

While we know what's helpful and what isn't, it's not always easy to do the right thing, especially when you're not in total control of your thoughts. These days, I've been wondering how to deal with the negative thinking and the doubts I have about the people in my life. I hope it's that easy to trust and relax, but it doesn't seem to be the case. Have you had moments like these? 

• Like 1

Relatable!  I'm sorry that you're dealing with intrusive thoughts, Pokcare.  I believe that most of us have experienced those on occasion. What works best for mee is to distract myself by quickly engaging in something else.  It works best when I pick an activity that truly forces me to engage my mind.

What about trusting your gut, though?  If everything in you is screaming that the person is best avoided, then maybe you should trust your instincts.  It's okay to have boundaries.  

Edited by SableC.

All the time. Trust issues define me.

I take the negative and turn it all into scenes or people in fictional stories. I need to be creative, and what better way to deal with the negative than to make them story prompts?

You get it out of your system, then you can try to sell it to some online publication that pays for flash fiction and such.

Or better still, you can fit it into an online persona on a chat forum somewhere. ;) 

On 2/17/2023 at 10:14 AM, G R said:

All the time. Trust issues define me.

I take the negative and turn it all into scenes or people in fictional stories. I need to be creative, and what better way to deal with the negative than to make them story prompts?

You get it out of your system, then you can try to sell it to some online publication that pays for flash fiction and such.

Or better still, you can fit it into an online persona on a chat forum somewhere. ;) 

This sounds like a great idea! Besides, I've also been told that I'm a great storyteller in a way, since I'm inclined to assume things. Well, it is meaningful to make stories out of something negative instead of ruminating on it. It is difficult, yeah. 

I like to write stories that are character driven. Their personalities give extra weight, more meaning, to the actions, which makes a story more compelling

I have found through the years that the situations, and resulting emotions, people get themselves into are pretty universal, So what someone in Boston goes through can translate well in Syria, Norway, Australia, etc..... if written concisely enough. 

• 1 month later...

It's been a while since you first shared this with us, Pokcare, so I thought I'd check in with you.  How is it going with the intrusive thoughts?  Have you found a solution that helps you manage them?  I sure hope so.  Dealing with intrusive thoughts can wear a person out.