For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

What are you reading?

Guest jylread

Guest jylread

I adore reading. If there are words on it, I'll read it. I spent unimaginable amounts of time as a small child reading everything from encyclopedias and dictionaries to novels and my parent's medical texts.  I tell my husband I married him just because I wanted to have his surname - Read!

Lately I have been reading a lot of young adult fiction with my 10yo son.  We are currently reading "The Candy Shop War" by Brandon Mull (The same guy who wrote what I think is likely to be the next Harry Potter - Fablehaven).  It's a tasty tale of magical candy that gives incredible super powers to the children who eat it, and frightening consequences that follow.  The characters are intriguing and well developed.  It's a multi-generational page-turner you should pick up whether you are 10 or 80!

I'd love book suggestions from fellow book lovers!  :)  What are you currently reading?

Sounds like a really nice book, not sure about the consequences though. I think the last book I read was quite sometime ago, about a hacker. Other than that, not too much lately, been working too much. :)

Guest jylread

Sounds like a really nice book, not sure about the consequences though. I think the last book I read was quite sometime ago, about a hacker. Other than that, not too much lately, been working too much. :)

I know what you mean about working too much!  Between work/kids/life it's hard for me to find time for books.  I often get my book fix with audio books.  I always bring one to listen to in the car, whenever I have to wait somewhere (i.e. dentist office) and when I'm doing house/yard work. 

Have you tried audio books?  My favorite place to buy/download is http://www.audible.com.

Happy reading,

Jyl

Guest jylread

I still have 5 books to read that I purchased over 4 years ago.

So what are these books that you bought and haven't cracked?

:)  May I suggest you take those books on a lovely vacation somewhere sunny with a beach and hammocks?  Playa del Carmen in Mexico is divine! 

Or at the very least get some bubble bars from Lush and dive in.  ;)

• 2 weeks later...

So, if you haven't read "Son of circus" by John Irving, just go to the bookstore!                                                                                           Odd characters, places we'll hardly ever visit, different cultures mixed in harmony of instincts and wondering of human soul and enough pages to accompany you in the winter.                                                                   

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently reading "Children of Men" (I haven't seen the movie... I'm not much of a movie watcher, actually).  I'm about 100 pages in and it was slow to start, but I'm enjoying it quite a lot now.  If you don't know the premise, it's about a society just like our own in which human fecundity suddenly and irreparably drops off and the last generation of humans is born (in the year 2001).  The book takes place some 21 years later, humanity still hasn't determined the cause or solution to their infertility, and are in a sort of holding pattern.  I wish I had more time to just zip through it as I would like, but lately reading takes place for about 30 minutes after I finish up all my work in the late evening. 

Ah, a vacation where I could just sit and read would be lovely!  By a stroke of luck, I am going to Hawaii in 2 weeks, but as I have 2 little ones, there won't be a lot of lazing about with a good book. *sigh*

Guest Cooper_44820

I also adore reading. In this face paced world I think books are slipping through the cracks! Currently I am reading "Become a Better You" By Joel Osteen. Joel is a excellent author. He takes everyday occurrences and shows you how to make the best of them, things we often overlook!

Guest emmalou

I am reading Rich Dad Poor Dad.  It is a good book that is easy to read.  It is all about money and time management.  I think that it is very well written and it is not pushy and does not try to sell you anything. 

Guest ebittner

I read Rich dad Poor dad several months ago and liked it a lot. The past week I have been reading a lot more then I normally do. I read a book called "Give 'Em the Pickle" another book about investing and yet another book about marketing. I have several other books that I would like to read in the next few weeks.

Guest vanarp

I cannot avoid the fact that I do not read that frequently. This is because I never find the time for it, or rather never make time for it! However, the last four books I have read were truly amazing. They were all from the same author, Dan Brown. Who is also the author of the well known book, 'The Da Vinci Code'. I have never found myself spending so much time behind a book, truly a must read!

As of now I am re-reading one of his books. It is called 'Digital Fortress' which is amount computers and encryptions. 

Well I like books that are "page turners" and make you want to keep reading until you find out the next twist or turn.

I am reading and have always liked Dean koontz books, while James Patterson comes in a close second. I like thriller/ fiction and also Christian fiction also. I read a really good set of books titlted "Red", "Black" and "White" by Ted Dekker. And I have read quite a few of his books.

Here is a list of them: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/002-2508090-1110469?%5Fencoding=UTF8&search-type=ss&index=books&field-author=Ted%20Dekker

• 3 weeks later...

I love reading. There's almost nothing I love more than curling up in a cozy bed with a book in my hands. Growing up I read all kinds of novels and learned much about life from those characters ;) Now I read a lot more than mere novels, though. I can whiz through biographies, books on philosophy and sometimes even politics, although I don't read political books before I go to sleep. It gives me a headache. :P

I have always been rather obsessed with fantasy novels, and I still prefer fiction over nonfiction.

When it comes to books, I usually buy them as soon as I see them (as long as they look interesting), so I have over ten novels lying around still untouched. Besides those there are about three books that I'm in the middle of reading- that reminds me, I really should get those finished. :P

One of these books is by C.S.Lewis- Perelandra. It is very intriguing, to say the least. 

Hello everyone, I'm a newbie, just logged on for a look around the site, spotted this thread and thought "I'm Home" :)

I will read pretty much anything that contains text, a book has to be pretty bad for me to put it down (I was very disappointed by Patricia Cornwell's Southern Cross) and I reread my favourites until they fall apart (I'm on my third copy of Wuthering Heights)

At the moment I'm reading the Harry Potter series..for the third time. Even though they're published as children's books they're brilliantly written and addictive.

I tend to prefer books over films and I'm not a fan of audio books as I love to sit down and concentrate on the content of the writing...it's my personal "time out".

...and that's a little about me :)

I just read this great topic about what people were reading, hehe.

As for real books, I'm trying to make my way through the Bible, one of the best semi-historical science-fiction compilations of all times. So far I'm about halfways, but it tends to get a bit dull after long reading sessions, it isn't an easy book to read.

I recently finished reading Big Bad Wolf by Patterson, I like his Alex Cross books.  I am about half way finished with the last Harry Potter book.  I need large print books for reading nowdays as my eyesite is not very good anymore and those little words on those printed pages seem to get smaller every day.  I used to be a very avid reader and I miss it terribly,  I have been listening to some of my hubbys audio books tho, they seem to be mostly westerns. 

• 2 weeks later...

I love reading. I'm 19 years old and I've loved to read since I was 12. I usually read science fiction and modern history. I'm currently reading the "Sperpant-war Saga" by Raymond E Feist and "The View From the Mirror" series by Ian Irvine. I love reading so much I read in the toilet (at home of course), in the bus and in general.

• 2 weeks later...

Since, as another poster pointed out, I read at lest as much as I write, I thought this would be as good a place as any to make a first post.  I willingly admit to being a book addict.  I am not a collector; that is much too dignified a term for what I do, which is more like compulsive accumulation!  I read an enormous variety of books, and I own more of them than I do anything else.  My home boasts several very large and very overstuffed bookcases, as well as a few small drifts of them on the floor, and about as many more packed away in the closet!  To get back on topic, here are some books I either just finished or am currently in the middle of.  I usually have several going at once:

-A Brief History of Everything by Ken Wilber

-Celebrated Cases of Judge Dee, translated by Robert Van Gulik

-The End of Science? by John Horgan

-Masks by Fumiko Enchi

-The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali (in translation)

-Person/Planet by Theodore Roszak

-A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson

• 1 month later...

This is my first post around here, but I wanted to pipe in because A Brief History of Everything is one of my all time favorite books -- although I haven't thought of it in years. Do you know if Wilbur has written anything new lately?

I am reading Made to Stick, a brilliant book by Chip and Dan Heath on why some ideas survive and others die. I started reading it to add to my "professional" library at work (I do marketing and PR) but am finding it's far more interesting and sneaks into many other areas of my life.

• 1 month later...

I've just discovered Harlan Coban and in 4 days I've read: Just one Look, Tell No-one and now I'm reading The Final Detail featuring Myron Bolitar.  I love Coban's turn of phrase, and his stories are about ordinary, everyday people who find themselves in situations where they are protecting their nearest and dearest. 

I am so glad I found this author  :)