For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

Memories of the World Cup 1966

Silva

I was actually in Germany in 1966 when that famous (to us Brits anyway) phrase "People are invading the pitch, they think it's all over........it is now!" was first uttered. Germany had played well, but the England team played better and people started running onto the pitch in the last seconds of the game when suddenly Bobby Moore scored the final goal and the whistle sounded. England won the World Cup and I had bet Herr Baumann one Deutschmark that they would.

I was only eighteen and was staying for three months with my pen-pal's family who could speak no English. The little village where they lived was rural and I soon improved on my schoolgirl German and began using the local slang. I answered the telephone for the roofing business they ran from their home and earned my board by shopping and generally helping out. I stayed for three months and began to think in German. I even started a letter to my mother "Liebe Mutti!" and she spoke only English! I was having a really great time.

My friend Helen, her mother and I came home one day from shopping to find the pastor's car parked outside and we entered the house with trepidation to find our worst fears confirmed. My friend's father, Herr Baumann had suffered a sudden massive heart attack and died. The pastor took Frau Baumann away to comfort her. She had known her husband since she was sixteen and they were about to celebrate their silver wedding anniversary. Helen was so shocked that she didn't cry at all until many days later. Selfishly, I became homesick for my own parents and my home in England.

A week afterwards, Frau Baumann met me at the top of the staircase and hugged me. She said, "Now you will not be able to collect on your bet." I cried with her as I told her that the memory would always stay with me. I returned home shortly after that but kept in touch for a long time and, years later, my parents and younger brother went out to visit. I have never been back and, sadly we are no longer in touch, but the memory will always remain.

Wow, what a touching story! What precious memories. Thank you for sharing that with us!

I have no memories from 1966 because I wasn't born until 1971 ;)