For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

Netbooks and Notebooks and iPads, OH MY!

maker4ever

While shopping for a new laptop I suddenly felt like a "Stranger in a Strange Land". The last time I was in the market for a laptop was back when a laptop was a laptop, they were all the same. Now it would seem that laptop is an umbrella term for many different types of portable computers. There were netbooks, notebooks, ipads, eMachine laptops, and more! I didn't realize that the laptop market had become so complex! So what are the differences between the different types of laptops anyway?

I know what you mean. It can be very overwhelming. I don't even know what a netbook does or how it even differs from a notebook. I do, however, love the new iPad. That seems to be the newest thing on the market.

I am glad that I am not the only one! I thought that a netbook was just smaller than a notebook and meant for browsing the internet. Then I have to ask whats an eMachine Laptop? Is it a netbook, notebook, or does it have a class of its own??

When this started first coming out -- all of the different terms I mean -- I was confused too. I finally decided that they were all laptops and, with the exception of the netbook, pretty much felt it was the features I needed to look at rather than the spiffy title it was given. Otherwise I would go nuts trying to figure it out! :D

I'm going to date myself, but I remember when the biggest question was "Oh My God, Wang or IBM, how's a person to choose?  Maybe we should stick to magnetic tape.  All this new technology.  ???

I was just in the same boat. I wanted an e-reader recently and my husband told me to check out the netbooks. I thought they were "cute", but just too small to be of any use to me. I ended up getting a regular laptop because I liked the features and memory better.

Ah so a netbook and notebook are the same except the netbook is small and has less memory. Does that mean that they have weaker processors too? So is an e-machine laptop technically a netbook then?

I'm not sure about the e-machine thing, but the other thing I know about the mini-laptops (the ones that look like they should be used by business elves - netbooks?) is that they generally do not have a cd/dvd drive. At least not in the ones I have seen.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently using a netbook. An Acer Aspire One to be precise and I'm loving it! Yep it does not have a cd/dvd drive but that doesn't really matter to me.

What I like about this particular netbook is its size, it's so easy to bring it around, and it is also hardy! Hardy in the sense that I've dropped it countless times from my bed and spilled water on it but it still works perfect.

Ipads, I don't get Ipads. I saw it in the shops just last night, and I thought it looked, a little big for my liking. I would rather get an Iphone than an Ipad seriously.

Now the Kindle is the one I'd like to get my hands on! Although, I'd miss the rusty, dusty smell of books. Books are like a comfort zone to me I can literally hug a book to sleep, but I think the Kindle can be very practical.

E-machines? First time I'm seeing that term! I'll go Google it later.

Hey a netbook user! You can be the resident expert since you have experience. I love Acer and I think that they offer really great products. My worry about a netbook is that the screen will be to small and my old eyes won't be able to really read the text. Do you find that the screen makes it more difficult to read/see what is on the screen?

My husband has a netbook. It can be difficult, at times (and getting close to the screen isn't always easy, since it IS so small); but generally, it's reasonable :)

I'm hardly an expert on netbooks though  :P

Oh I don't think it's that bad really. It mostly depends on how a site is laid out. The screen size doesn't really bother me. I use the directional buttons often to control the screen. I don't even use a mouse, I find it easier to use the touchpad with the directional buttons to control the screen. I guess, I got used to it over time. I'm very comfortable with my netbook! <3