For account approval and general support, email migi@paidforumposting.com or go to https://discord.gg/HtwZ9YD

Re: If the internet went down today, what ..

Guest GKool

Wow, Interesting Question... Well, its funny actually, i dont think many ppl like myself could begin to even contemplate life without the internet :(, it has become such an intimate comodity. but i guess,'Life Will Imitate Art' ,hollywood movies depict some interesting scenarios which might probably seem realistic as time progresses.In  answering the question, if the internet went down today, then we would have to adapt, deal with the chaos & rebuild. 8)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Travis

• lucy1b1

• Tammy

• Pd

wow, if the internet went down today I would be lost.  Where would I sell  jewelry I make?  Who would I talk to in the evenings when my hubby is on the road.  Where would I find all the useless, trivial info I am always looking up. For me the loss of the internet would be devestating

• 2 weeks later...

If the Internet went down, the resulting reaction would be PANIC! To say the world does not heavily rely on the internet is false. We advertise billions of dollars worth, we access vital information and many governments rely on the internet to keep their databases up to date and many other reasons.

I would try to morse code PayPal® to cancel my account, and smoke signal the bank that I need to make a withdrawl.

I feel that the panic, not the reality, would cause an economic crash in the West, and liquid finances, for a man as poor as I am, would be needed immediately, or I might not be able to buy bread. :'(

• 2 weeks later...

It's weird that when the net is available, I spend a lot of time using it and I really enjoy it.  When it's not, though, I don't miss it.  I'm not the kind of person to take my laptop camping or to track down the nearest net cafe when traveling.  Of course, from a practical standpoint, loss of the Internet would be a big problem since my job requires me to use it.  Otherwise, it's really not a big deal to me.  There's plenty else I enjoy doing.  As a matter of fact, it's kind of nice to have a "net vacation" every once and a while.  Reminds you that there's a lot of real world out there...

• 2 months later...

I think there would be mass chaos all over the world if that happened. Many people would lose their jobs and income, businesses and government agencies would be in chaos, and it would generally not be a good thing at all.

Personally, I think I would find some way to adapt to it, but I would hope it would come back up. In some ways, everyone would be in the same boat - without the internet in an internet-based world.

• 2 weeks later...

I would not be a happy camper if I lost the internet.  I live several states away from where I grew up and where my family lives so I use e-mail and instant messaging to keep in touch with several friends and family members.

I would also really miss Google.  I know that sounds silly but I use it so often I don't know what I would do without it. 

I'd be mad  ???

I spend a lot of hours on line and use the Internet to make money by writing.  For instance, I write consumer reviews on a couple of UK websites and although they hardly pay enough for me to retire  :D they do pay enough for me to 'save up' over a period of time and I use this money, which is paid via PayPal, to buy stuff from ebay.  Sometimes I ask to be paid in Amazon vouchers and as I love reading this is great for me!

I also have children who live abroad and it's great that I can keep in touch with them via msn and the video link.  If the Internet went down today I'd miss chatting to my kids and seeing them via video link more than anything!

Interesting question that I don't want to think about. I rely on the internet way to much to even consider it going down. I work on it, I play on it, I make friends on it and I vent on it. There is just so much of my life that is on the net, my work, my friends, my relaxation time, my venting time, my communication with the world. I think that losing my sanity and panic would be the first thoughts if anything happened and the net went down.

I would try to fix it.lol.

There are a lot of people out there who LOVE the internet and are on it 24/7.

A lot businesses rely on the internet for money.

But  I would just spend more time outside if the internet went down. :D

I cannot fathom an event that would take down the entire Internet.  If my home/office Internet went down, I would sit in a coffee shop with my laptop or tether to my blackberry.  If there is no Internet in my town, then I have to assume something so catastrophic has happened that I will be looking for a bomb shelter or headed to high ground.

Temporary outage: Clean my house. Write some articles.

Long term outage: Get a job outside the house.

Permanent outage: Find a shelter, get rabbit ears for the TV.

If the internet went down today, I would be completely out of money! Since I had to quit my job over a year ago to become a caregiver, the only way I can make money is online. Also, I'm finishing my degree through an online university. So, that would be a big problem too! :o

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Fuchie

Wow! That would just be simply awful,this would just put a damper on my day. The Internet and I we are so close. I spend as much time as possible on the net communicating with friends near and far, sending words of love and encouragement to each other.

What can I say the Internet is really one of my favourite pass time.

Guest trader1499

I have a somewhat funny story.  My comcast internet went down a while back and it stayed down the whole day.  The next day my wife called and told them it was not working and they scheduled someone to come out.  So two days later he comes out to check on it.  First thing he said was, "it would help if it was plugged into the wall"!  I felt like a fool because I never thought to check that part after checking everything else.  My cat unplugged it cause she likes to get behind there. 

Whats worse is the same thing just happened with our tv!  Fortunately I figured it out and had time to call and cancel the appointment.  :-[

Hopefully I'll check the outlet from now on!  Haha.

At the very least I would be ruined. My whole income is based on the Internet. I run a very successful online business and it generates about 75% of my total income. I am actually knocking on wood right now just in case. ;)

I also believe the Internet going down would start a war. Lets not get on that subject though as it is very touchy.

Travis

Guest katie

I would feel lost at first, lol. But, goodness, we all lived without the internet for years, surely it wouldn't be that hard to go back to not having it. I would just have to start mailing my work to editors instead of emailing.

I have suffered the wrath of not having the internet before and let me tell you, it was NOT a pleasant experience. My parents have a holiday home in Spain and I went away with them last year for three weeks. The house is near Granada, which is in the middle of nowhere, so we don't have the internet set up. Needless to say withdrawal symptoms kicked in around day 2!

I really don't know what I would do if I didn't have my laptop connected to the internet at all times. Which I understand is exceedingly desperate for an 18 year old girl but believe it or not I still have a social life! I still go out on a night with my friends. I also, however, come home at ridiculous times of the morning feeling tipsy and the last thing I do before going to bed (and after taking my make-up off of course) is to check my email/Facebook/various forums.

My friends are unaware of this addiction but I fear rehabilitation may be in order!

If the internet went down today, well, technically it couldn't, it is a redundant network, designed by the American military to withstand a nuclear holocaust, so if the internet did go down, then i guess that would have happened, and we wouldn't be here, neither, for that matter would the internet. the reason being that the Earth would be gone.

If my Internet went down and I couldn't connect at some other location I would basically have the rest of the day off. The Internet has become such a big part of my work ( writing and research) I would shut down without it.

I would have to say that I am addicted to the internet.  If it went down I would nearly panic, but I'd have to use my phone much more than I do now and I'd have to go back to buying stamps and actually writing letters again!  I can and do go a few days at a time without it though and it's good to take a break now and then.

I am one of those people who does not think they spend much time on the Internet but to be honest I use it everyday and to do most things from shopping to banking to communicating with friends and even to earn money.

Interesting question.  I have always been a outdoors man or just person who enjoys the outdoors all together.  I do not stop going outside as it is just because I am on the computer but I am sure that I would see the sun more if I did not stay up all night.

Its kinda like saying that if you dad only had 6 month to live what would you do together.  Most would say "everything I could think of" or "everything that he wants".  The reality of the matter is that your dad may die in 6 months and you don't know it.  Why are you not doing this now?  You can say you would do something or you can live you life and do those things.  I think many people online believe that being online is "life" you are sadly mistaken being on line is "a part of life".

I think if the internet was no more that it would be less of a change than a lot of us realize, I mean come on, it hasn't really been here that long.  Wait, I was lying, I would probably loose my mind for about a year and then I would recover.